How would it sound...

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by BrianT, May 13, 2008.

1. BrianT

BrianT Member

I like the sound of a well-recorded drum-kit. Seems to me that when brass bands are recorded with just a pair of mics, there's little definition or punch to the kit, even when drummer and kit are both brilliant.

I wondered how would it sound if you put more mics on the kit, like you would if you were recording or amplifying a rock-band kit. Would this work musically? Or would you have to start miking individual players too?

And the more philosophical question is "what is the true sound of the drum kit" - is it the close-miked sound or the more distant room sound?
  2. AndyCat

AndyCat Active Member

Our new CD, out soon (!) is recorded by B+H sound with full kit mics. Sounds good to me to get the clarity through the band. The kit was also pretty well screened as well.
  3. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

If you record with just a pair of mic's then you lose the detail from the whole of the band not just the kit :)
  4. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

on our last recording we had real trouble taking the Kit down live with the band, you just ended up playing everything very quietly, It would be ideal to play screened and individually miked up, but that's a lot of fuss for most band recordings.
  5. Tub Thumper

Tub Thumper Member

When I first started doing recordings with bands (early 90s both for CDs and for Listen to the Band etc), I was always disappointed with the drum sound that the engineers/ producer used to get.

The sound was always very 'muddy', partly due to the miking (a few mikes in the general direction of the kit/ section - to be fair, close miking probably wasn't an option as I think they wanted to try and get an overall/ ambient/ natural sound from the whole band although I'm not an expert on such things) and partly due to the kits bands had at that time (i.e. 1970s/ 80s (e.g.) Premier kits with big tom toms (13" & 14" rack toms as was the fashion!)/ bass drums/ cymbals etc.

Once I had one or two recording sessions under my belt, I started to think how I could improve the drum sound without close miking so I started to use smaller cymbals (13" hi hat, 17"/ 15" crashes etc), a 13" piccolo snare (deep snares seemed to get lost in the mix) and either brought in my own 'fusion' sizes kit with smaller toms/ bass drum or if the band was lucky enough to have a kit with lots of toms (like the later one I played for did), pick the smaller sizes. Have to say I think it worked (I can point you at 2 different recordings still listed by the various CD companies illustrating case 1 & 2 if you are interested) and the engineers/ producers were very complimentary about the 'drum sound'.

Sorry to ramble on! In short, if you aren't going to be close miked, pick small drums and cymbals (and, of course, tune them well) and they will cut through the mix. It might all sound a bit 'toppy' to you as you record but it translates well (in my experience, admittedly sometime ago!) to recordings.