How would a Championship Band sound like good 4th Section Band

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by Al, Nov 13, 2007.

1. Al

Al Member

I know this sounds a bit daft at first but bear with me!

How would a Championship Section Band have to play to get itself positioned
    say in the top six of its 4th Section Areas (but not come 1st!).

It's easy enough to play and sound like the "Brassed Off" Band drunk at the Whit Marches and we could all play like Les Dawson if we need to but that would be too obvious and anyone could come last or there abouts without too much effort

What would a top section band have to do to sound like a good 4th Section Band? Could it do it?
  2. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

I have to ask....why?
  3. Blagger

Blagger Member

I think that discussing this would be a little disrespectful to 4th section bands :rolleyes:
  4. Dave 2nd2nd Cornet

Dave 2nd2nd Cornet Active Member

Simple..........just replace all the players in the top section band with players from a good 4th section band:rolleyes:
  5. zak

zak Member

What a totally pointless thread!!!!:confused:
  6. flugelman

flugelman Member

7. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

Making them play with earplugs would be a good start so they couldn't hear their fellow players. This would challenge their timing, intonation and dynamics.
  8. brassed_off

brassed_off Member

How pointless is this??
    Lets hear it for all the good 4th section bands!! :clap::woo
  9. Gorgie boy

Gorgie boy Member

Good shout!
  10. History Girl

History Girl New Member

Hear Hear, 4th Sections Band are the begining of the Banding Movement for most people, we have some excellent 4th Sections Band in this country. What some people may not realize, is that 4th Sections Bands work harder than most other bands, to achieve their promotions.
  11. History Girl

History Girl New Member

This thread is deffinately DAFT, you are quite right there.
  12. BrianT

BrianT Member

Not a pointless question at all. This all boils down to identifying why the two sound different. But I think you'd have had a more sympathetic response if you'd asked "how could a 4th section band sound like a Championship band". You sort of asked the same question but in reverse.

I'd actually been thinking about this recently - wondering about a test piece in which the band has to be able to impersonate the sound and quality of another band. Musical impersonation is hard, because you have to be aware of and in control of all the elements of sound production and performance. When I conduct my Trainer Band I have to listen to the sounds being produced and try and work out why it sounds like that, and praise when it sounds good, but also be able to suggest how to make it sound better if necessary.

To answer your question, I think you'd probably mark up the parts with appropriate performance directions, like you'd do with any test piece.
  13. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

Far from sounding daft, it actually sounds a bit sinister.

Unless someone can suggest an alternative explanation, the only reason I can think of for wanting to do this is to cheat at a contest. :mad:

Not something we should be encouraging, and hugely unfair on those 4th section bands who have grafted for months to achieve the same thing.

I think clarification is required.......
  14. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

Take a Championship band, ask them to do a bandstand concert in the middle of nowhere on August Bank Holiday and throw in free beer and a bus! Result = the band is made up of drunks and deps (or drunk deps) and sound like a 4th section band. Sadly, it happens all too often!
  15. Sandy Smith

Sandy Smith Member

Correct :clap:

16. in the past ive been severely chastized by all the mods and even fellow tmp'rs for threads and posts done by me with things that were at least worth discussing

this thread is a joke and an insult

17. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Maybe it's a joke. It doesn't look like an insult to me - yet... The way the question is posed could easily lead to people saying insulting things, and indeed some people seem to have inferred an insult that hasn't been made... I suspect the Mods are keeping a close eye on this. That they haven't jumped in yet speaks volumes for their good judgement.

Yes, it's bizarre. But being bizarre is not an offence or an insult (a good lesson for everyday life, those who are getting hot under the collar about this thread should note). A little explanation of why the original poster asked this question might make things a little less bizarre.
  18. toby hobson

toby hobson Member

god its got very touchy on here!!!!!!!!!! lighten up eh!!!!!!!!

In answer to the question

play a bit out of tune, mainly at a MF dynamic, go really hard with the sound and realy sharp when playing realy loud, clobber a lot of notes during production, but enjoy the experience none the less and enjoy generally great pieces!!!!! and good on you. lol
  19. Despot

Despot Member

Quite possible....

Take a Championship band, clear out the bank account and refuse any sponsorship...and give it a few months. ;)
  20. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

I second MoominDave. Yes it might have been worded in a way which might cause offence, but I don't think any was meant.

Never underestimate some peoples' desire to be offended.;)