How well does your MD wiggle?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by UncleStreaky, May 18, 2005.

1. UncleStreaky

UncleStreaky Member

[edit] MPEG of the Wiggle-Bot now available here! Wiggle-Bot-MPEG [/edit]

After various comments posted on our guest book (see www.norfolkwherrybrass.org.uk) about our MD's wiggle, I wondered how many other MDs entertain the crowds with crazy moves!

I once heard that during Aces High, the former MD of the Holmesquest Holdings Band used to run on to stage from the wings and do a mid air turn, to land (almost) in time to the music and (almost) on the podium! Must have been great fun to see!!!

Must be some other good stories out there about what your conductors do when wagging...

Should we start giving them marks out of ten? :clap:

2. groovy

groovy Active Member

Our conductor does not wiggle exactly but likes to play various percussion instruments while we play, including spoons, which must be funny to watch!

3. bagpuss

bagpuss Active Member

I could make an authoratative reply and even provide photographic evidence with regard to our illustrious MD and his 'wiggling' prowess. However, I prefer to play percussion with the sticks provided for my use rather than removing them from parts of my body I'd prefer not to mention!!!

Discretion is the better part of valour and all that!!!

Puss

4. LeDragon

LeDragon Active Member

Ours has got a full on swagger according to 4barsrest :p

5. sterlingsop

sterlingsop Member

Our MD doesn't wiggle as such, but you should see Mr Tonge when he gets going!!

I pray to god that Carl doesn't miss another rehearsal coz when Phil's got the stick he cracks us up something proper. It's like watching a body popper on heat!!

It's all down to enthusiasm I hasten to add, and I love him to bits but his conducting wiggle is something that has to be seen to be believed!!! :eek:

6. tinytimp

tinytimp Member

David Evans (ex Imps, Burry Port, now Faireys, Tredegar?) has got a few classic moves. Never figured out what most of them meant though, maybe that was the problem!

Our uni orchestra/choir conductor is...well...unique. His head dances and he's not adverse to a bit of jumping up and down, looks like a Thunderbird sometimes.

7. akwarose

akwarose Active Member

thankfully our MD doesnt wiggle.

i'd be laughing too much to play if he did!!!

8. Just Crazy

Just Crazy Member

We havent got a MD at the mo [​IMG]

So I cant comment .

9. TIMBONE

TIMBONE Active Member

I am glad that you didn't mention your last MD Jenny :)

10. Just Crazy

Just Crazy Member

I could have!!!!

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Wiggle-Bot
    MDs
    Aces High
    Holmesquest Holdings Band
    land
  12. UncleStreaky

UncleStreaky Member

Ooooh just remembered another previous MD, Eddie who was both left handed and very large. Sitting on 1st trom I could never see his left hand or his baton past his belly, which would wobble considerably as he beat his way enthusiastically through the music.

After a while I managed to get accustomed to the timing of his belly wobble, which I have to say was also very expressive at times!!!

:p

13. Neil Glynn

Neil Glynn Member

If our band's MD can't make a rehearsal/concert there's a friend of his who normally stands in for him. His conducting style's rather unique, it more of a rowing action really, impossible to follow but quite amusing to watch!!!

14. sevenhelz

sevenhelz Active Member

we once had a guest conductor for a day and guess what, we played serenade... she eventually said "well i'll just give you a downbeat" and not only was she out of time, she bent her knees as well so she was bobbing up and down while we played on sedately... lol ^_^
    xx

15. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

Pretty sure our MD doesn't wiggle, and if he did I'd find it disturbing. Not really built for wiggling isn't Steve...:eek:

BMB
    xx

16. six pints

six pints Active Member

hey geordiecol, remember the shadow?! fantastic hair....

17. bagpuss

bagpuss Active Member

Ther was a conductor at a band I used to play for that had a conducting action like a skier!!!!! I'm not going to name names because it's entirely possible that he is a member of tMP!!!!

Puss

18. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

Mike Denny looked like a racecourse bookie on speed...BMB
    xx

19. bagpuss

bagpuss Active Member

The current incarnation at that particular organisation tends to look like he's about to start sewing when he's conducting. Hope he's not a member here, he's bigger than me and he'll kill me for that..............or his wife will!!!!!

Puss

20. Lothianh

Lothianh Member

A neighboring band had an MD the past few years whose antics on the podium were frankly quite distracting. From the band's viewpoint I don't think it was very noticeable, but from the audience's it was *very* obvious and was the subject of a lot of commentary and joking. To say that he was the *butt* of a lot of jokes would be an undersatement. Frequently I just couldn't watch, and had to listen to the band with my eyes closed.

-Lothian

21. sterlingsop

sterlingsop Member

I knew someone like that too!! Was never a member of the band though, only depped, but he conducted EVERYthing like that....hymn tunes, marches, broadway musicals, overtures...... Wonder if it's the same bloke!?!?!

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Wiggle-Bot
    MDs
    Aces High
    Holmesquest Holdings Band
    land