How to regain my interest?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Andy_Euph, Apr 16, 2004.

1. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

Hi everyone, over the last few months i've found that my interest in my playing and banding has taken a real nose dive. I feel no real reason to practise and when I go to band I just get frustrated as I feel we should be working on more challenging stuff which I would have to actually practise to play!

Its a bit of a bummer this as I really love being in banding and really don't want to give up playing.

So just wondering if you have any thoughts on how I can regain my interest and motivation.

Cheers in advance :)

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    banding
    real nose dive
    real reason
    challenging stuff
    bummer
  3. Trigger

Trigger Member

Perhaps you need to try and inject some more enthusiasm into the band as a whole. I often find when the band are enthusiastic, so am I (although I tend to be enthusiastic about everything anyway, regardless). Maybe see if there are more concerts/contests that you could do. And, provided your band has sufficient funds, talk to the commitee about buying some more music. This would give both you and the band something more to work on and to aim towards. The ultimate would be a trip abroad, because this should get the band all pulling in the same direction and would give you a renewed interest in banding. Don't give up though, it's easy to get down about playing every so often, but bands never stay the same.

4. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Two thoughts on this one, both of which I think have been mentioned before:

1) You could use your private practice to work on something that will really stretch you, maybe a solo that you could in time play with the band, or some difficult studies etc

2) When you are in practice, concentrate on playing what you have to play perfectly, thinking of attack, note production etc. The more you are concentrating on the music, the more you will find that there is very little that is so easy that we cannot improve our approach. You could also try working on alternative fingerings etc to make things a little more of a challenge.

5. ScrapingtheBottom

ScrapingtheBottom Active Member

Totally agree. When you're playing some of the easier stuff it gives you time to critically appraise your sound and improve your ensemble playing - ie making sure your working well with the solo euph and the rest of the band as a whole. I found very quickly that nothing is that easy and you aren't as good a player as you think (this is NOT a dig)!

6. Highams

Highams Member

7. glen miler

glen miler Member

join a new band

8. ted

ted Member

new band

9. Have you spoken to your MD about his/her choice of music and the like. It may be that there are others in the band who are feeling the same way. Everyone gets a bit out of sorts now and again so maybe if you asked him to have a blow through some more challenging stuff once every couple of weeks or so it would help. This is something I try to do with Fulham and it helps me as much as any of the players. Don't think, personally, that a new band is necessarily going to solve anything.

10. Dave Euph

Dave Euph Member

Hi Andy. I can see why you are frustrated, and there have been a few good suggestions already. However, I have a suggestion myself ...

How about some time off? I'm not sure how much your band would appreciate it, but if you keep up your private practise, after a few weeks you may find your appetite for banding returning because you've been out of it for a bit. This usually happens to me anyway during holidays, I come back fired up and ready to go.

11. BassBlaster

BassBlaster Member

Well, you play for a good band, if you are that frustrated, then either you or the band must change. You practice often, you are not pushed in the band musically, then either bite the bullet and help others improve or move to an higher section band, as a stepping stone on to a top band.
    But leave on good terms, because one day you may be back in that kind of band and will want to help all the younger players, to improve. It is like the Lion King!!, Circle of life (banding).
    And one of the best players which you have brought through the ranks will leave, saying, I am better than this band, I find it all frustrating, I have no motivation. That is the problem all our lower section bands face, better players leave.
    Whatever you do, enjoy your playing. 8)

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    banding
    real nose dive
    real reason
    challenging stuff
    bummer
  13. geordiecolin

geordiecolin Active Member

Hmmm, strange one this Andy as I don't quite get your position. Are you travelling back to Ellington twice a week, or are you referring to a band you are playing with at uni?? I can't believe you're travelling back for Ellington?!! - I would be a naffed of with the whole thing if I was doing a 300 mile round trip to band!

If, as I suspect, you aren't travelling back to Ellington and you are only in fact playing for a band when you happen to be home, then your current state of mind might be more easily explained. Perhaps its due to the fact you have not got a band to go to twice a week and really feel a part of that you feel as you do.

I very much doubt I would have the same enthusiasm that I have now - probably playing the best I ever have, if I hadn't joined a local band.

Without wanting to sound rude, I don't think you've "outgrown" Ellington and surely things have never been better as the band stares its 2nd successive promotion in the face?? They are friendly band on the move, what more do you want??

My advice: Assuming you haven't already, look for a local band, I can't believe you can't find one in the Huddersfield area. You maybe wouldn't have to contest, allowing you to stay signed to Ellington but it would be a refreshing change and would keep your lip well in. Don't quit Ellington, they are, I feel the most stable and consistent band in Northumberland. Where else would you go? Greggs??!! :lol:

14. NAS

NAS Member

When I left Leyland last October the main reason I left was because I had lost interest in playing... I thought of ways to get myself back on track but couldnt come up with anything. So I decided to take time out (despite playing for Ransome at the Masters) and try and find a new way to experience banding... I found it :D . Conducting is a fantastic way to express yourself and its certainly given me my interest and enthusiasm for banding back!

15. imthemaddude

imthemaddude Active Member

Hi andy, I will get shot for saying this as ur dad is my MD but I get like it alot.

I'm stuck between people who think I am rubbish and people who will quite happily ask me to play in the top section on front row. It's really frustrating and I lost my enthusiam, the conflicting comments destroyed my playing. I am happy playing in the 4th section and wouldnt dream of leaving my band but i have done music since I was three, having turned down music college at 16and my 14 instruments, banding is all I have left and so to be good at it means alot.

I know u and it's hard to comment but I suggest do what people have said.

I practice solos like Clear Skies and Wonderous Day etc and I know I will never get the chance to play them with the band but it improved my register and when I do well on it, I know myself that i feel good.

I also play for lots of other bands - just go to their rehearsals and sit in on occassions particularly the top section - it's good fun and there is no pressure to be brilliant cos ur only there occassionally. It was the best thing I ever did.

The other thing is to practice with some mates then you can encourage and enthuse each other - i get my kiddie band to do that because everyone has things they can do well and bad, everyone is different so you can help each other become good and it can be a laff. It is important with it to be positive to each other and everyone acknowledge that no one is the best - just simply that people have different things they are good at. Me and peter find it works :p

Hope I've been of some help matey

16. Dave Euph

Dave Euph Member

Just to clarify, Andy's living at home. He's currently not at uni, although he may well be coming back - I won't go into the details of the whys and whatnots.

17. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

Assuming that you haven't already done so:

Before you do anything else, speak to your conductor. He is the person who should be able to retain your interest, provide you with the challenges you need and help you to focus on self-improvement - but he may not be aware that there is a problem, unless he reads tMP!

He won't be able to help solve your problem unless you are prepared to talk it through with him and I imagine that he (and other band members) would find it deeply frustrating if you were to leave for that reason without giving him a chance to address the problem.

18. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

I should probably reword my original post, I think what I should have said was that I have just lost interest in playing in general (although the fact I still go to band suggests I still want to do it) my motivation is just at rock bottom and I need a spark to get it going again.

After reading some posts I too don't think leaving my band is the key... for one we've got the nationals coming up :D . I like being in the band but i think my lack of motivation is rubbing of in my banding.... so maybe a short break to get myself in practice then return to band may be the key.

Anyway thanks for the replies so far

Andy

19. Rambo Chick

Rambo Chick Member

Suggest better music for your band!!

20. tim

tim Member

You could try one of two ways... im not saying they'll work but they have both worked for me before.

Get out one of the well beastly euphonium concerti (bourgeois, wilby (if u find it hard), etc) and spend say a week on it... u mite neva be able to play it but if it's one you genuinely want to play u'll want to start working on other aspects again.

or

Get out something piss easy like ernest youngs euph sonata and play that... u'll start looking at how to play it musically straight away not having to bother to much about technical aspects. It will incourage you to think musically and not technically as you might do... I know i do sometimes and then wen i try to play in the right style everything clicks into place.

Hope you get the desire back and remeber it might not be that you want more of a challenge technically but you might need to push yourself musically