How to practice when working away

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Di B, Feb 11, 2008.

1. Di B

Di B Member

As the area approaches I want to increase my practice time at home. Unfortunatly I work in Reading regularly and its now up to 3 days a week. I stop in a hotel while I am there said for by work. Now.... is there any way of practising in a hotel without getting thrown out?! I have a silent brass mute but that only takes away part of the volume. I know I could take my mouthpiece but that doesnt help get the notes under your fingers. Any thoughts on this welcome.
  2. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Ask the staff if they have any other suitable rooms (not necessarily the one you are staying in) that won't disturb other guests.
  3. BandTaxi

BandTaxi Active Member

Turn on the TV slightly louder than your muted playing?? Lots of people have hotel TVs really loud so you probably wouldn't get too many complaints.
  4. towse1972

towse1972 Active Member

When i work away i try to source a band to attend for the week. Works for me.
  5. vonny

vonny Member

I personally don't believe in 'practice practice practice' Even when I am rehearsing for a contest I tend to stick with my usual routine which is to practice as much as I can but short spells. For example I might choose to practice hymns for 30 mins one day and then two days after I might practice a few studies out of the arban and then the day after I might practice the test piece. The next week I might reverse my practice and play the test piece slightly more than the hymns and studies.
    I know that everyone is unique and has their own method of pratice but spending up to 3 days away isn't going to create too much difficulty if you don't practice.
    I took my mouthpiece away with me to the states and I spent around 20 mins each night just blowing through it etc and now I am home I can get down to some serious practicing ready for the areas.

Happy rehearsing Diane :)
  6. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

This is what I do too. You might even be able to turn up early or stay later to do some work on your own part too if you ask nicely.
  7. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

Most "business" hotels will have meeting/conference/seminar rooms, which are unlikely to be in use outside working hours - you could ask to use one of those for an hour. They're usually accoustically dead, and reasonably well soundproofed.
  8. Buy a normal practice mute and put some blue tack over one of the holes! that works for me. I find its also a good way of improving your sound as it creates greater resistance.
  9. Daniel Sheard

Daniel Sheard Member

A problem I have when I go away for a few weeks at a time - I can't even take an instrument.

There is a device called a BERP - which is designed to simulate the resistance of an instrument on the end of your mouthpiece. I have never tried one, but it might be worth a look.
  10. Di B

Di B Member

Thanks all for your suggestions. I know I am a better player when at least blowing for a short spell every day so will see if the hotel will offer me a conference room without charging me the standard rates! Alternatively if there are any bands in Reading/Theale who might be able to assist please let me know.
  11. steve butler

steve butler Active Member

I had a similar problem a while back (couple of years ish) when I was working away in the Peak District dry stone walling. I was staying close to work in my small motorhome (no room for an EEb bass).
    Managed to get a blow with Burbage (Buxton) Band once or twice a week on a spare Eb they had.
    Not only did it help keep my lip something like, but it also helped keep me sane (well almost!) as the social contact was as welcome as the actual playing. And they are a very sociable gang over there in the wilds of the Peak.
    Good luck in your endeavours, it should be slightly easier with a euph!