How to post a trumpet without case?

Discussion in 'Classifieds' started by Capt. Z, Oct 27, 2013.

1. Capt. Z

Capt. Z Member

Not sure where to post this.

I am planning to sell my Bach Strad. and Benge Pic. I don't have a case for the Bach Strad. except a big case from Protec for 4 trumpets.

So I am wondering how I could post the Bach without getting damaged.

I had it for a while at a local Music Instrument store in Edinburgh, hoping someone local would buy it and I did not have to post, but the local exposure is just not enough.

Thanks for your suggestions and maybe even experiences in advance.

2. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

Somewhere on the web, - YouTube perhaps? - I've seen a video demonstrating exactly that. Seem to remember it involved a lot of bubble-wrap and packing peanuts. Perhaps someone cleverer than me can find it and post a link? I believe many trumpet manufacturers prefer to ship that way, being of the opinion that the trumpet is safer than it would be in it's case.

3. jennyt125

jennyt125 Member

Lots of bubble wrap around the trumpet then make sure the instrument cannot move at all inside the package with lots of packing peanuts/newspaper. Also use a good strong box (double walled) which cannot be crushed and she'll be fine. :)

4. John Brooks

John Brooks Well-Known Member

A female Bach Stad.......now that must be priceless ;)

5. Capt. Z

Capt. Z Member

YES, it's a she and she is priceless and very special. Regular body with a 65* bell ;)

6. GordonH

GordonH Member

Here is how Monette do it:

Wrap trumpet in bubble wrap a couple of times.
    Put in a double walled cardboard box with polytyrene chips - at least a few inches around everywhere.

As far as I know they have never had an instrument damaged in transit.
    They say its safer than posting in the case - which they post in a seperate box.

7. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

8. simonium

simonium Member

So in essence, precisely what Jenny said, but with the added brilliance of an unnecessary Monette reference?

9. GordonH

GordonH Member

Not unnecessary. Dave is a friend and has posted more trumpets than anyone else I know, so his experience must count for something.