How to make Gaffa tape stick to cold things?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by MoominDave, Dec 25, 2010.

1. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

First of all, happy Xmas to you all!

Secondly, just checking my aged automobile is ready for some long distances in a few days, and was attempting to apply some Gaffa tape to the already highly-taped rear bumper. I cleaned off the relevant bits of metal and plastic well, but the tape just wouldn't stick. I wondered if the problem was that the glue on the tape was insufficiently sticky in the cold, so I put the tape in the oven at 200 deg C for 5 minutes - result: toasty warm tape, but still no adhesion to the cold car.

Anyone have any ideas? I'm a bit stumped... :confused:

2. John_D

John_D Member

maybe more to do with the temperature of the bumper than the temperature of the gaffa tape. Hairdryer to warm up the bumper first could be worth a go.

3. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

Put the car in the oven :biggrin:

Or, put your hand in your pocket and buy a new back bumper ;)

4. Leyfy

Leyfy Active Member

Or wait till someone else crashes into the back of you, then get a new bumper ;)

(then reverse into a half-submerged pole in Southend and screw up new bumper, but that's just my take on it!!!)

5. DMBabe

DMBabe Supporting Member

You know where mine is..... in the cupboard.

But Duncs, it needs to pass the MOT with gaffa tape first before its worth spending £120 on a new bumper. Even in scrapyards its near impossible to get an intact one cos they're just made of plastic and most of them have been damaged on a car of that age or they're a ****** to remove.