How to make better accoustics

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by BIG Paul, May 29, 2011.

1. BIG Paul

BIG Paul Member

Our band has just taken over an industrial unit to use as a band room, however it has concrete floor and breeze block walls, therefore it would appear as if we will need to do something to make the accoustics better.
    Other than putting a carpet on the floor can anyone give us advice on how to make improvements to the sounding from walls.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    concrete floor
    band room
    breeze block walls
    improvements
    industrial unit
  3. 0VU

0VU New Member

Could you post some more information, such as:

What are the dimensions of the room (including height and is it a flat roof/peaked/sloping)?

What is the construction/what are the current surfaces made of (e.g. Solid concrete/masonry walls produce a different frequency spectrum from tin/fibrous concrete sheets, and painted breeze blocks are very different acoustically from unpainted ones.) Includes the ceiling/roof in this?

Some kind of rough floor plan would be great, as would some pictures. (You can PM these or email them if you like.)

Also, what exactly is the room to be used for - rehearsals/recording/small concerts/parties/etc./etc..

Is it just for the band or is it also carrying on it's role as an industrial building with you having the use of it for your stuff?

For how long do you have it (i.e. is it very short term so not worth spending money on or should the money spent be re-cyclable into another building in the near future)?

And are you planning on opening it to the public at all.

And other stuff but that'd be a start. The more info you can give, the better, otherwise any advice can only be very general and untargeted and might miss something important about your specific building.

Last edited: May 29, 2011
  4. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

Don't forget to state your budget, Paul.

5. BIG Paul

BIG Paul Member

Only a small space 500sq ft, to be used for rehearsals only. sloping roof height from approx 10 ft to 18ft at rear. Walls pained breeze block. unsure what the roof is made of. no other users for the unit, we have initially taken a one year lease with the possibility of a further three or five years if we find it sustainable.

Floor plan is approx 5 metre square, down one side there is a row of stud walled offices to a height of approx 2.5 m faced in pained plasterboard. I think that is all I can tell you for now

6. 0VU

0VU New Member

Thanks, Paul.

Do the offices come out of the 5x5m square floorplan or is that the measurement of the remaining space after the offices are taken out (25 square m is only about 270 sq ft so I'm guessing that the rest of the 500 sq ft is the offices - can you remove them if you want to)?

I assume you have no issues from neighbours to worry about with noise escaping? (Acoustic treatment to change the internal behaviour of the space is relatively cheap, space efficient, and easy compared to creating soundproofing/isolation (the latter isn't hard - it just has a space and cost implication).)

Last edited: May 29, 2011
  7. BIG Paul

BIG Paul Member

been down today and the area outside the offices is measured at 4.5 m X 7m.
    we have no issues from neighbours and can if required remove the offices, however if we can manage without then we would like to keep these as individual practice for our training / junior band.

I know the space is restricted but we are trying to manage, as to remain in our current location could cost us up to 5 times the rent on this unit.

our budget is very low as we need to keep a years rent in advance.

8. John_D

John_D Member

How the band is set up will have a bearing on the acoustics (basses at high ceiling end or low ceiling end). I'd be tempted to try this first as it doesn't cost anything.
    Old curtains can help to deaden the sound, and if mounted on curtain ails can be 'opened' to change the acoustic back to the original.