How to improve technical?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by xRinat, Feb 1, 2009.

1. xRinat

xRinat Member

OK! So lately I've been thinking about my high note playing, and it gets better and better thanks to you guys.
    Now I need help on imcreasing my technical playing... I am good, but I wanna get better.
    I wanna read notes from the paper really fast and really good, cause I play solo cornet in Norwegian's best brass band, Im becoming soprano after summer, and then principal the year after that.

I wanna become insanely good on playing, so I dont need to waste much of my tinme on repeating the lines over and over again to make it perfect.

If anyone knows how to get better tell me! PS: I have Clarke technical studies.
  2. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

errr... is this a trick question?!
    There aren't any short cuts, just practice practice practice.
    The Clarke's a good place to start, but imo the Arban is better - all the scale and quaver/semiquaver exercises.
  3. xRinat

xRinat Member

Ok, thanks.
  4. Mike Saville

Mike Saville Member

To be a better player you first need to learn to be a better listener. The reason many people improve slowly is that they don't listen closely enough to what they are playing. They will repeat over and over and do many hours of work with out progressing as much as they might.

Ask yourself a question. Do you know EXACTLY how you want to sound? Can you describe it in every minute detail? Also how will it feel when you play like that? Knowing that is part of the journey.

Next you need to apply this strictly to your practice. Don't simply play scales or exercises. Work hard to make sure each and every note is as perfect as it can be - don't ever settle for second best. Make sure the tone, production, intonation, relaxation etc etc are perfect for the entire note - beginning, middle and end. It's one thing to be able to rattle through an exercise -it's quite another to be able to play even a single bar perfectly.

The way you will achieve this is by acute listening. The reason most people go for lessons is to benefit from the advanced listening skills of experienced players. These people have spent years listening to minute details and can spot errors quickly.

Again to improve your technique you need to improve your listening skills.
  5. ydna36

ydna36 Member

don't underestimate working on your airflow to help improve technical playing. fast passages of music wth lots of notes will sound 100% better if you support every note with the correct airflow. So doing plenty of work on that should help improve the way your technical playing sounds.

Actually developing your fingers though is a different aspect of playing. Sort of experimental, but try practising your Clarke studies with your left hand (if your right handed). I've found that it then feels much easier when i go back to playing with my right hand. Just a thought.

However, as mentioned above, the best players are the best because they put the hours in doing really good quality practice. Make sure that every minute you spend practicing is worthwhile.

Always 'practice', don't just 'play'

Hope this helps

6. davidquinlan

davidquinlan Member

Hard work!!

Taking the above one step further, always PERFORM !!

I belive that was Adolf Herseths mantra... :)

Doesn't matter what study, exercise, scale, whatever you are playing, always play music.
  7. Kinrao

Kinrao Member

Firstly, it's great to see someone so driven, all the best in fulfilling your goals :clap:

I agree with everything said above and would also recommend having someone mentor you.

Pick a player within your band you want to emulate and ask him/her to help you do it.

You don't have to stop at one player, you might want to take attributes from several players. I've always found people very approachable and willing to help.
  8. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

Do you have a teacher?
    If not, I would suggest finding someonoe to take some lessons from - this will help you focus in on what aspects of your playing needs more work than others (no need to spend loads of time working on the things you can already do well).

Is there anything you feel you need to work on?
  9. Columbo

Columbo Member

Well said Mike, I agree. Lots of players are too keen to pick the instrument up and 'rattle' through rather than sit back and think about what they expect to acheive and what they want to hear as the end result. As a player I made more progress by reading from the experts and listening to teachers. I too was inspired by other players. Also understanding methods prior to putting them into practice. As a conductor I have done the same with my band. We talk about the music before we rehearse, especially test pieces. This has helped the players and save time despairing with passages. Xrinat should take the advice of all the replies albeit all slightly different. Keep plugging away, but patiently. Good Luck!
  10. xRinat

xRinat Member

Thank you all so much, i apprecite the help.
    I found out what I needd to do thanks to you guys ;)