How To Get Rid of Cats...?!!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by jockinafrock, Jun 15, 2009.

1. jockinafrock

jockinafrock Active Member

People - I need your help..! Whilst I would never do anything to harm the little darlings, I am absolutely sick to the back teeth of moggies digging up my garden!!! :ranting2:
    I've tried pepper, bleach, reflective thingy's, even stuff supposed to deter cats from spraying and digging - but it only attracts more!
    Are they taking the Michael...? :hammer
    It's all I can do to stop hubby suggesting shootin' the bleedin' things!

Any ideas? PLEASE!!!
    :dunno

2. andyh

andyh Supporting Member

Get yourself along to a zoo and ask a friendly keeper for some Lion Poo... that'll put the wind up the local feline population !

Alternatively I have seen proximity detectors gadgets which aim a quick spray of water in the general direction of anything that triggers them...

Andy

3. themusicalrentboy

themusicalrentboy Active Member

an air rifle.

4. jockinafrock

I think I've heard this about Lion poo or wee or whatever - if someone fancies going in their cage with them to get the stuff, I'll put it on my garden! :lol:

5. michellegarbutt

michellegarbutt Supporting Member

a few shots with a water pistol normally does the trick. The bigger the better

6. jockinafrock

Believe me - it has been talked about...! ;) Maybe I should put a 'contract' out for the little beggars..! :eek:

7. jockinafrock

The bleeders come during the night though...! I've even covered the area with stones, but they must have talons like shovels 'cos they move them too..! Maybe barbed wire or mines...! :biggrin:

8. michellegarbutt

michellegarbutt Supporting Member

I know you probably don't mean this seriously but as someone who had explain to 3 kids under 10 why some hooligan thought it funny to shoot their pet cat I don't find it funny. (incidentally the cat did die of his wounds after spending a week in the local vets fighting for his life).

9. themusicalrentboy

themusicalrentboy Active Member

to be honest, we're not talking about 'some hooligan' shooting it, we're talking about it damaging people's property. But then I can't stand cats anyway. In all honesty, I wouldn't shoot it, I'd just get a very powerful water pistols and drench the little 'darling'

10. nook1938

nook1938 Supporting Member

I agree, I know they are a pest at times, but a drop of water aimed their way will deter them.

nook1938

ps, anyone who uses a Air rifle or other violent means, should not openly boast about it, there are laws about using a Rifle in a public place.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    useCitrus Fruits
    useCitrus
    Rid of Cats
  12. jockinafrock

yes i was joking 'bout the guns...! Goodness!

13. Di B

Di B Member

As an ex cat owner the easiest way of getting rid of cats in your garden is....to get a cat!

The scent of your cat would ensure others do not go there.

Ignoring the poor jokes, I would agree that a water pistol is good but you can't have it there all the time.
    Some people I know swear using pop bottles filled with water to keep them away (they really don't like water so it might be worth a try) or, if you can stand it, hang some bin liners around your garden! Allegedly the wind blows them about and the sound and shape of it spooks the cat.

I also believe that there are certain plant types that repel cats but you would have to do a bit of research on this.

One off the top of my head..... Lay something like chicken wire on the lawn or thin bits of string tied across. They won't be able to walk on it.

Hopefully you should find after a few weeks they automatically leave your garden alone as they know there is no point going in!

14. nook1938

nook1938 Supporting Member

I do not joke about Guns! Goodness![/ ;)

15. flugelgal

flugelgal Active Member

We were in our local garden centre on Sunday afternoon and saw some plant called "Scaredy Cat". Apparently it makes cats run away from it. I'm not sure on the efficacy of this method though, but it might be worth a shot. I bought a big pump action water pistol to spray the black cat that terrorised ours when we first moved in, and it doesn't seem to come in the garden much at all now. When he does, if he sees me with the gun he bolts. (It has a really long range and I'm actually quite a good aim!). I've heard of motion sensitive cat deterrants, basically you set them up where the cat comes into the garden, when it senses movement it sprays water. Again, I'm not sure how good they are, and it's probably a fair expense.

16. floppymute

floppymute Member

If you can stand the smell yourself, curry plants do the trick

17. 4thmandown

4thmandown Member

Tried it, but maybe the cats in question have no sense of smell. A pump action water pistol with some added lemon juice seems to be the most effective.

It never seems to amaze me how no-one ever comments about cats using other people's gardens as their own private toilet, what with all the pathogens that their poo spreads around. There almost seems to be a tacit acceptance that "that's what cats do etc, etc...". The argument "get a cat yourself" doesn't wash with me either. That just perpetuates the problem and would double the problem for some other non-cat owner.

18. Di

Di Active Member

We've discussed this elsewhere before, but at the moment I don't have the time to search for it. Cats messing on the garden, caught red handed opening and drinking from milk bottles on door step! Blooming nuisances.

There are various devices for this on the market, electronic devices that give of a high frequency signal which deters cats. We bought this one for my parents garden, and I think it was successful.

However, we bought two of these cheaper ones for our garden and the supposedly inaudible sound could be heard by the kids (well, most anyone younger than us ;) ) and we do still get a few cats around. Mind you, with the number of them we have around here, I suppose getting rid of all of them would be impossible.

19. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

Other forums seem to support the idea that moggies don't like the smell of citrus fruit. Citrus based air fresheners seem to work.

20. HaleStorm

HaleStorm Member

Orange peel, proper oranges mind you not satsuma's, because the cats not only dislike the odour, but the citrus stings there eyes so they dont want to hang round it to long

21. Tuba83

Tuba83 New Member

You could just get a dog!

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    useCitrus Fruits
    useCitrus
    Rid of Cats