How to free a stuck tuning slide ?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Phil Claydon, Dec 23, 2003.

1. Phil Claydon

Phil Claydon New Member

Hi All

Does anybody have any tips on how to free a stuck tuning slide? I am trying to get an old cornet working for a living again and everything is nice and loose except the tuning slide, one tube of which has seized solid.

Thanks in advance

2. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

3. Lauradoll

Lauradoll Active Member

4. Phil Claydon

Phil Claydon New Member

If anybody is interested, I managed to free my problem slide quite easily by alternately heating the tube with boiling water and cooling to -10C with a 'freezer' spray used by Electronic Repair Technicians. After a couple of goes the slide shifted with no hassle at all;-)

5. Di

Di Active Member

Re: Sorted!

Sounds like a handy bit of kit. May your cornet provide you with many happy hours playing in return for fixing it. :wink:
  6. ju33les

ju33les Member

Tuning slides move?????
  7. lilcornetgirl

lilcornetgirl Member

Whatever you do dont try and put the bell in the middle of your knees and pull it dosn't help my dad tried it and it went awfully wrong lets just say it had one straight bell afterwards. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

8. jambo

jambo Member

yup, that freezer gaz stuff works but its its fiver a pop for a canister, just tap it with a euph mouthpiece then send it to the repair man if that doesnt work.
  9. Dave Euph

Dave Euph Member

Yeah, I've found that once a slide is stuck, it's stuck, fortunately most of my most important slides haven't stuck yet (although the tuning slide IS dodgy). Also, fortunately, when I borrowed a baritone off my band, despite it's not-brilliant condition all the slides just about moved still.