How to confuse a welsh cyclist!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by JessopSmythe, Sep 16, 2007.

1. JessopSmythe

JessopSmythe Active Member

2. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

Possibly one can get a bladder infection from too much cycling?
    And if there is not Welsh word for dismount, how do they get off their horses?:confused:
    BMB
    xx

3. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- why couldn't they simply produce a sign saying 'no cycling'? :dunno Not PC enough?

4. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

And if the No Cycling sign caused any confusion they could translate it properly easily enough couldn't they?

"No Cycling, Is'net?"

5. no2taz

no2taz Member

Haha Look Yew

Very funny story Boyos. I have just forwarded that on to my boss as I am a sales manager for a company that make signage and a welsh speaker.

The sign was probably made by a company in England who has no idea how to translate English to welsh..... (As if you could not tell)

That has brightened up my day

6. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

Lol! :)

I reckon it's the cyclists fault. They must have their own language which neither english or welsh converts well to.

After all, Most other road users have worked out red lights mean stop. And they've no comprehension of "One Way" or "No Entry" either. Maybe the writer was trying something different?

Still a corker of a sign though. Almost as good as that one on the road that said "SOTP."

7. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

We have one in the village that says "CYCLING STRICLY PROHIBITED" and also several road signs that name the village wrongly too (Littlethorpe) one directs you to Littlehorpe and another to Littletorpe. Maybe the sign makers were running short of T's and H's?

8. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

Someone is either dyslexic or needs glasses.
    I reckon someone looked up 'cyclists' in the English Welsh dictionary but read the translation for the word 'cystitis' - they must be close together on the page and look very similar

9. dyl

dyl Active Member

A couple more examples of the dodgy translations we have to put up with:

35047711_1ca8ab3400.jpg

'Gweithwyr yn ffrwydro' translates as 'Exploding workers'

cacwch.jpg

the top part is ok, it basically means 'Building site', but the second part 'Keep out' should have been 'Cadwch allan' - cacwch has a totally different meaning ..... I'm sure you can figure it yourselves :oops:

10. tam-tam2

tam-tam2 Member

A little of topic but having just come back from work I pass the Commando Training Centre in Lympstone.....its not far from my house. Anyway, they have new signs.....all very nice but they have another new today. A red triangle with a TANK in the middle. Don't think I will be going quickly up that hill again!!

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Welsh
    English
    councils
    Welsh dictionary
    English speaking member of staff
  12. Mesmerist

Mesmerist Well-Known Member

'Gweithwyr yn ffrwydro' translates as 'Exploding workers'

I am sure this is something my husband suffers after enjoying a curry. Nice to know there is a medical term in welsh. Sounds so much more romantic.

That reminds me who likes Gavin and Stacey then?