How to celebrate 150 years

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by BIG Paul, Oct 10, 2007.

1. BIG Paul

BIG Paul Member

In 2009 it is Denton's 150th anniversay the band being founded in 1859. has anyone any ideas for making this a memorable year for the band.

so far ideas coming in are a new CD. A large concert perhaps with some good guest soloists.

any other ideas greatly received

Paul Keogh
    Chairman Denton Brass

2. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

Commission a new piece (and then include it on your CD ;) ).

3. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

There must be a certain amount of mileage in being the 1st ever National Champions. How's about resurrecting the test-piece and recording that? I think it was called 'Gems from Sullivan's Operas' arranged by J Ord Hume. Somebody's bound to have it, even if you don't. How's about a name change back to 'Denton Original'?

4. midwalesman

midwalesman Member

We at B+R have the original test piece that has been mentioned in this thread and I could ask the Librarian about it. On the other hand you could record all the pieces that have been significant to the band over its life, in concert or contest or a local significant. There is also the option of inviting a championship section band for a mass bands concert with a guest soloist in a large local venue?? But forme it would be a good idea to approach a local brewery and get them to produce a special brew to mark the occasion??

5. Dago

Dago Member

What a good idea!

6. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

Far be it from to tout for business, but......

I'd be delighted to write something suitably celebratory, and I'm sure Keith would provide a reference!

Failing that, I love the idea of having a celebration beer brewed, but I suppose that does rather exclude people who aren't drinkers.

I think a concert is a definite must, maybe a massed bands? Do you have any ex-members who have gone on to greater things who could come back as guest soloists? Plus I like the idea of resurrecting the 1900 Nationals test-piece; maybe there are some other historical milestones that you could mark? (Denton Original were one of the few bands ever to get disqualified from the Open, sometime in the 1800s, but maybe you'd rather not celebrate that!;) )

7. flugtastic

flugtastic Member

you could invite me and kat back after we go to uni!!!!

8. I think it would be great to get any players who have played with the band to be invited down for a mass blow perhaps? I don't think we'll manage to win the championships in time for the party though! :biggrin:

Could we hold a competition to get a piece commissioned?

9. Anno Draconis

Morecambe Band did this with some success for their centenary in 2004.

10. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

I wonder who won that? ;)

It certainly is worth asking Mr Draconis about writing something - the piece Andy wrote for the recent CD with Middleton Band was excellent, and I've recently been actively pushing his back catalogue with other clients to see if we can get some more of his material recorded...plus the fact he's now a recognised test piece writer with one of his pieces being used in the Swiss Championships.

In the interest of fairness, there are plenty of people on tMP who are worth approaching - you could probably get a whole concert in worthy commissions out of the people who populate this place, never mind a CDs worth.

Now there's a though...... ;)

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Denton
    Paul Keogh
    Denton Brass
  12. Anno Draconis

Philip Sparke, Darrol Barry and Peter Meechan are regular contributors and easily contactable - Blackley commissioned a March from Darrol a couple of years ago and I think the going rate was about £200 per minute of music?

Also Mike Lyons, Will ("the Sec") Elsom-Darchiasvilli, Benn (HBB) Tubb and Iain McKnight are members - all published composers and arrangers with perhaps a lower profile in the band world than Messrs Sparke and Barry, but talented guys nonetheless. There are plenty more, these are just the ones who sprang immediately to mind.

PS Thanks Keith, the cheque's in the post ;)

13. BIG Paul

BIG Paul Member

thanks guys all good suggestions, we will consider all of these and perhaps others that follow.

still bouncing from Fleetwood result

14. michellegarbutt

michellegarbutt Supporting Member

When we had our 120th birthday we combined a concert with guest soloists with a party. The 2nd half of the concert we wore our party clothes instead of uniform, our junior section made their debut. Even those who couldn't blow a note joined in. I remember a wonderful performance of "THE SCALE" by 2 6year olds. We invited as many old players as we could find. We also had a birthday cake. It was a great night

15. BIG Paul

BIG Paul Member

Thanks for the offer we thought we had located a copy of the original works but it all fell through. any help with getting this piece would be much appreciated as all of Denton (original) music went up in flames in a bandroom fire many years ago.

So far we have booked a large venue for July 2009 and are now trying to get on with other things for the celebration.

16. andyh

andyh Supporting Member

At Woodbridge Excelsior Band we celebrated our 160th birthday last year,
    we didn't make too much of it. One of our members commissioned an
    arrangement of Arms and the Man for the band, and we bought a new set
    of uniforms after saving for 5 or 6 years.

Apart from that, we just take quiet pride in being the oldest brass band in
    East Anglia.

Andy

17. Liz Courts

Liz Courts Active Member

For St Agnes' centenary we organised a concert and invited past members to join in and formed a reunion band to perform the last few pieces. Some came back having not played for lots and lots of years...!

It was good fun! Some of the players that came back realised how much they missed the band and are still turning up to rehearsals! :)

18. Robhibberd29

Robhibberd29 Active Member

Whatever you decide to do and I must say there seems to be some real good ideas in this thread, get the local rag/tv involved, you can't beat free advertising and you never know, maybe even some sponsorship to buy those new uniforms for example?

19. AEHOWGATE

AEHOWGATE Member

If you know someone with some spare time, they could go to the local history library in Ashton and look through the North Cheshire Herald on micro film, there is a lot of information in those papers regarding bands. They also have the Ashton Reporter, another good read! Info from these sources could form the basis of an anniversary pamphlet. (It would be interesting if players moved from the famous Kingston Mills Band (Hyde) to strengthen the Denton band when they first won the Crystal Palace contest).

Another thing you could think about is doing a concert of music typical of the era the band was formed.