How to become an Adjudicator??

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by tromwinst, Mar 20, 2010.

1. tromwinst

tromwinst Member

How do you become one? What do you have to do? Is there an exam, written work or certain level of banding you have had to have played at?

Advice would be welcome?
  2. IckleSop

IckleSop Active Member

sit in a box, drink coffee put ear plugs in and write anything you want :D
  3. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

Find a trusted colleague and ask him to watch you wee in a bucket of sand. After that I'm sure the box will hold no terrors :biggrin:
  4. yoda

yoda Member

The NABBC used to have an adjudication diploma, which i think was accredited by Salford.

I know a few who took the course and were awarded the qualification, yet still never got any work as an adjudicator.

There are a few ways I have heard of, listed in no particular order:

1) Right place at the right time.

2) Be a well respected conductor / player.

3) Write to EVERY contest offering your services. (ad nausium)

4) Write multiple press releases (at least 3 a week) telling websites and BB publications everything you are doing (in minute annoying detail) and know they will have to publish at least some of these, so by raising your profile.

I believe that a combination of 2+1 is the best way :)
  5. welshmike

welshmike Member

What about being over 65, mainly deaf, not a working musician, and being able to stand up at the end of the contest and say that 'when this were written in 1937 it were a test then and its a test now'?
  6. Al

Al Member

No quite so. I came across one adjudicator who seemed to write virtually the same for all the bands as I saw one or two sheets soon after.

All generic stuff such as "letter C...nice control..... letter D..slight tuning problem within the ensemble....letter K..good Maestoso, don't overblow"

I am sure all he had to do was effectively photocopy the sheet and fill in the band playing order at the top.

Ah well at least it's better than saying "we was robbed"!
  7. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Simple;Just come up with the wrong result the only band who will say you have done a good job/or got it right is the winning band ask any winning band that put the real winners down the field and the band who as not really done anything with the piece bad intonation tuning etc cant play the piece first lol
  8. blue juice

blue juice Member

Close your eyes and take a blind stab at the results, disregarding all notion of performance and ignoring anything you have previously said you would like to hear from bands. A monkey flinging bananas at random targets could do a better job than most.
  9. sopranoplayer

sopranoplayer Member

Had to use circular breathing to read that sentence Ian :wow
  10. Oodle Bugler

Oodle Bugler Member

Its an interesting question! One that you should maybe direct to ABBA (the Association of Brass Band Adjudicators).

There are contacts on their website:-

It would be insteresting to know what reply you get, I bet they aren't ready for the question!
  11. Oodle Bugler

Oodle Bugler Member

And there is (or was) a Licentiates Diploma in Brass Band Adjudicating (LDBBA) available through Salford College, oops, University. Whether that does you any good or gets you further up the pecking order is possibly debatable.
  12. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

13. yoda

yoda Member

That was the one that the NABBC helped to set up. Quite a few took the qualification and non got work as a results.

Have a look through the list of adjudicators at recent contests and see how many have those letters after their name. Very few i'd wager. Odds Paddy? :)
  14. David Mann

David Mann Member

I worked with Gareth Pritchard at the ODBBA contest last year (great contest by the way). I was adjudicating entertainment and Gareth the musical performance. It was a real eye-opener. Judging entertainment is obviously a lot more subjective than music but it took all my powers of concentration to listen, watch, take notes etc and then put bands in order. On the day, one band was clearly more entertaining and one stood out at the other end. The ones in the middle were really difficult to sort out.
    Now while I was doing this I could see Gareth working and he had to report on things as he heard them and that could also be heard by other people in the hall (dynamics, tuning, togetherness etc), record them, then compare these to come up with a judgement.
    I've been as guilty as anyone when it comes to disagreeing with adjudication but I would have to say that after this experience I probably don't have the musical brain necessary to judge the musical aspects of a contest competently.
    Going back to the original question, how do you become an adjudicator?
    I believe we should be judged by our respected peers. In the case of Gareth, he is a top player, academically qualified, professional conductor, composer and arranger. I'd be happy to be judged by him. So the first step in becoming an adjudicator should be to become a master of playing, band training and preferably have some wider musical experience. Then gain the opportunity to adjudicate and grow your reputation as a wise, accurate and (preferably) positive judge.
    Perhaps the idea of "shadow" adjudicators could be developed further to give candidates experience?
  15. Dago

Dago Member

Spot on!!!
  16. Mercedes

Mercedes Member

Learn the drums :)
  17. MRSH

MRSH Supporting Member

NO!!!!! Don't do that or you might turn in to a rubbish adjudicator (as was evidenced yesterday :-? )
  18. andywooler

andywooler Supporting Member

First thing to do is throw away any metronomes you may have - you won't ever be needing those again.
    Next - purchase one of those special hearing devices they recommend to reduce noise pollution.
    Finally, join a dating agency as any friends you used to have won't be for much longer!