How to become a donor . . .

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Laserbeam bass, Aug 28, 2005.

1. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

I have registered my details here UK transplant list

Feel free to make up your own mind about this.
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2005
  2. euphfanhan

euphfanhan Member

Did you by any chance watch Casualty last night? I'm thinking about it, but the idea is just a bit weird, pieces of one person inside someone else. But hey, I guess when you're gone it doesn't matter that much, and if it saves lives it's worth it.
  3. Laserbeam bass

Laserbeam bass Active Member

I watched Casualty at about midnight last night. Always considered it but never did anything about until last night. The joys of the internet.
  4. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

Last week was transplant week on the BBC who were attempting to raise awareness of people currently awaiting some form of organ transplant to save their lives. As previously stated, this culminated last night with a very good episode of Casualty/Holby on BBC TV where two stories were given, ending with both the characters (41 yr old heart condition male and 19 yr old CF girl) needing a heart transplant to save their lives. It also featured the story of someone who had just died in a car accident who's family had decided to donate his organs.

The public were asked to telephone vote on who they thought should get the heart - something that surgeons and doctors have to decide regularly. The public results were CF sufferer 65%, Heart condition sufferer 35%.

At the end of the show, Lord Winston was talking and gave advice on how to register as a donor.

Although this is an individual choice the tMP team are happy to make this thread a sticky to raise more awareness to the cause.

On behalf of the tMP Team
  5. Big Twigge

Big Twigge Active Member

I think I signed up a few years ago, but is there any way of checking to see if you are on it or not?
  6. HorniKaz

HorniKaz Supporting Member

Done!! :)

I already carry a donor card in my purse although its a bit warn out now. If being a donor helps just 1 person after I've gone, my life has been worth something. But, as Roger says, its individual choice & thats mine.
  7. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

I thought the programme raised some important issues, but it also brought home to me what I feel is one of the drawbacks with the present system: the need to secure the agreement of the next of kin. I think it would be much better if the wishes of the donor were taken as paramount: even if the next of kin is not particularly happy about the situation, the decision would be taken out of their hands, so they are not placed in the awkward position of making a decision that may go against their own personal beliefs at a time when they are under considerable stress, and when time is of an essence.
  8. B'aht a band

B'aht a band Member

Already done! however, I think George Best is already a shoe-in for my liver (one not-so-careful owner, but he might get a couple of weeks out of it).... ;) :biggrin:

Andy, waiting to open his own version of the Betty Ford clinic, just so he has somewhere to stay on a night..
  9. satchmo shaz

satchmo shaz Active Member

posted mine off last week........... didnt realise that it was transplant week!

I am also on the Anthony Nolan bone marrow register along with my brother Carl and hubby Rob who is at final matching stage for someone......... we are just waiting to see if he gets picked now
  10. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

Interesting - I've carried a donor card for years. Or so I thought. There wasn't one amid the contents of my wallet when I emptied it last night.

If you think you're carrying a donor card - check!

I've signed up.
  11. Mrs Womble

Mrs Womble Member

I have a donor card which I carry with me and I also give blood. - It cost you nothing but it's worth doing it just to know you might save another person's life:)
  12. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

I've carried a donor card for years, and like Will, on emptying my wallet couldn't find one. Must get a replacement sharpish.

They can have anything they want from me...The bloke that gets the trouser furniture is one lucky dude! ;)
  13. Cornishwomble

Cornishwomble Active Member

And he wouldn't be the first bloke to receive it either eh eh? :biggrin:
  14. 2nd man down

:wow That's just a rumour and well you know it!
  15. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Please keep this particular thread for the serious consideration of organ donation, and let's not be sidetracked by off-topic comments.
  16. Jamie

Jamie Member

I used to carry a card in my purse... until it was stolen!! I always intended to get another one, but never got round to it- don't especially like the way you have to select the bits you're willing to donate though, makes you think about the whole thing a bit too much for my liking! Will sign up online now though- didnt even know you could, so theres one convert for you! As far as I know I'm on the bone marrow register too, and I've tried to give blood a couple of times but they wont take it! For my health, rather than anyone else's... there's nothing wrong with it, but apparently I need it- I don't weigh enough to donate! Gonna have a few pies and try again, methinks!
  17. madsaz

madsaz Member

I don't usually come into this part of the website so it has taken me a while to find this.

I work at the Manchester Royal Infirmary in Renal Medicine and we have one of the largest Renal Transplant Programmes in the UK. Close by is Wythenshawe which is the Regional Heart Transplant centre - if you want a liver you have to go to Leeds.

Kidney transplantation is the most well established and successful solid organ transplant that we have going and it makes a huge difference. Although dialysis keeps you alive it is no substitute for a real existence. Many of our patients manage to receive live donations, but lots are not so lucky. If you are Asian your cahnce of recieveing a match is significantly reduced. If you are Black, you are 3 times more likely to need an organ, but 20 times less likely to recieve one.

Being on the register is a huge help to us. In terms of kidneys we can tolerate quite a long time for decisions etc (up to about 24hours, maybe longer) but the organs need to be plumbed in much more quickly for livers, hearts and pancreas.

Someone has alluded to the fact that the final consent comes from the next of kin. Unfortunately, we doctors can't change this aspect of UK law. In order for organs to be donated, the patient has to have died. Once you have died, your body belongs to your next of kin - thats UK law.

If this happened to any of us I agree it would be horrific for our family to have to take this on board. If you are planning on registering I urge you to discuss this openly with your family, so if the worst happened they would at least have the knowledge that they are respecting your wishes.

I have had personal experience of this too, and when my brother in law died we were able to do a bit. I also have a friend whose transplanted kidney is now 28 years old and still functioning perfectly - who knows what we can acheive in the future?

Thank you for reading one of my favourite soap boxes.....
  18. cornetshell

cornetshell Member

Do Something Amazing, Give Blood!

....I know this thread is aimed at organ donating, but how many people on tmp actually give blood?
    - I do, and i am now a registered bone marrow donor, as i am a rare blood group (only 2-3% of donating population, AB neg)

I am 20, and have been donating since i was 17, i know its personal choice, but i think it is one of the easiest ways to help give a little, to help a lot.... :)

It takes about 10mins to donate, plus another 10-15 seeing the nurse before you donate. ( and you get a free drink, and a natter!)
    Most work places have a donor bus that comes around, and i know my mum does it that way. There are always clinics near by, where ever you are, and you can check online @ to see if you are suitable donor..... a lot of people use tattoos and Piercings as excuses not to give, but you are safe to about 6-8months after you have had them! The blood [about a pint] will be made up by your body in about a week... you wont miss it ;)

im not trying to start a GIVE BLOOD campaign on tmp- but it is something that is close to my heart, i know a few family members that perhaps wouldn't have survived opperations, births, crashes....without the donated blood....

I duno, just have a think about it next time you see a blood donor advert.... Or the next time someone you know has a major op...who helped saved there life? normal people like you and me....

19. 2nd man down

I do...I give blood regularly, type A+.
  20. horn-girlie

horn-girlie Member

if you are getting a driving licence, you can apply to be a donor on there! if you do this you dont need a donor card, because if anything happens to you, your driving licence will be scanned into some system thing, and on there it says whether or not you have agreed to be a donor. and if you have, what you are willing to donate. have said i'll donate everything. hey, i'm not going to need my heart when im 6 feet under so someone else may aswell have it!