How the human body works

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Di B, Jan 28, 2007.

1. Di B

Di B Member

I've been suffering from a cold, woke up this morning and found that I had lost my voice!

Now my voice is the sound of minnie mouse on a bad day and I cannot laugh, but, I find I can cough extremely loudly and can still play an instrument.

Now, sorry to be thick on human biology, but how can you cough if your voice box has packed in?
    Also will playing mean it takes longer for my voice to come back?

Can anything help your voice to come back quicker? I am meant to be on a conference call first thing tomorrow... that's gonna be fun!

Cheers

2. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

Hmmm, good question, and sorry to hear you are unwell.

I'd say this was more to do with air being forcefully passed over and through the vocal chords thus making them vibrate and sound with the harshness of a cough, than of the controlled manipulation of the vocal chords through the human voice.

I am no medical expert, maybe someone can advise?

Hurry up and get yourself better.

3. oddbod

oddbod Member

I can only tell you through experience rather than technical knowledge that playing a brass instrument has absolutely nothing to do with your vocal chords - neither does coughing!

And re loss of voice - try the old method (I don't) which is gargling with salt water - or the new method (I don't do this either - I just go and hide!) - gargle with TCPliquid/water solution

Bet it's quiet at your house then Di B ?

4. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

I find this always helps, especially if the coughing becomes more active when trying to get some sleep ...

5. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Hi Diane - could be Butlinitus (similar to Pontinitus but takes a bit longer to take off) or even worse, just read this in the Daily Mail about colds that last all year:

"Global warming could have one very unexpected - and unpleasant-side effect for Britons - the birth of the never-ending, all-year-round cold.
    While catching a cold used to mean sniffling and shivering for a few days before making a recovery, new evidence suggests that the common cold is lingering longer and longer."

Hope you feel better soon and if you don't just keep disinfecting the mouthpiece.

6. Di B

Di B Member

Have to admit tubafran, I think it is Butlins as well! I think the prolonged singing probably weakened my voice box then the cold on top has just been too much.

After a full days rest I can state I sound less like Minnie mouse and more like someone who makes a dirty phone call! :) Don't think I'll play for a whole though as my throat is still inflamed.

I just find the loss of my voice fascinating! It's just one of those weird things!

7. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Now come on, Di, your voice isn't that weird ;)

8. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

I like losing my voice. I particularly like the bit where it just starts to come back again and I sound like Mariella Frostrup.
    BMB
    xx

9. postie

postie Member

I suspect it is Butlinitus - a combination of the cold, bracing Skeggie weather, beer, pom poms and trying to sing above the music!!!!

10. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

I'm suffering mightily from the old Russian visitor Ivor Nastichestikov. Over a week now.

Day 1 : severe headache, nausea, runs.
    Day 2 : I became Billy Bradshaw, no sore throat, no phlegm, no other symptoms.
    Day 3 : I became Cantor of a Russian Orthodox choir as my voice literally plummeted 4 octaves or more overnight. Still no sore throat or other symptoms.
    Day 4 and since : Severe sore throat, hoarseness, lots of phlegm, catarrh, dry tickly cough, sneezes and all those other nasty spelly words, high temperature, sweating and chills, itchy eyes etc etc.

Winter!

I hope the year 9s who laughed at my Billy Bradshaw voice get it and see how they feel!:p

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    thing
    gonna
    sound of minnie mouse
    human body works
    human biology