How should TUBA be pronounced

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by JDH, Jan 6, 2006.

?

How do you pronounce TUBA

1. choo-bar

27 vote(s)
    46.6%
  2. too-ba

9 vote(s)
    15.5%
  3. T'yewber

22 vote(s)
    37.9%
  1. JDH

JDH Member

I have noticed that some people pronounce TUBA as "choo-bar", while others say "too-ba". How do you pronounce it?

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    TUBA
  3. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

Neither. T'yewber.

4. Di

Di Active Member

There you go. Option added. ;) Hope you don't mind JDH. :)

5. horn__blower

horn__blower Member

think im with will, that or chew-buh

6. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

Perhaps "Base" should be a choice ;)

7. Mister 4x4

Mister 4x4 Member

Wow... you guys actually get Chewbar out of just those 4 letters? I guess it's one of those words... kinda like aluminum. How do you get 'Al-yoo-min-ium' out of that, anyway? ;) :D

No worse than 'Nook-yoo-ler' I suppose... :D :D :D

"Too-ba" here, thank you.

8. L J

L J Member

The old and usual way!
    Bass!
    either Eb or BB
    Keep it brass! ^& British
    When did, it by the way, start to be tuba over there (in GB etc )
    To me this is more of an American thing - similar to their calling the Eb Tenor Horn, the Alto (Eb) Horn

9. Darth_Tuba

Darth_Tuba Active Member

Well, first of all you spell aluminium properly... ;)

10. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

Apparently, their spelling is actually the way the Al was originally written down - and it was us that changed it to bring it in line with the rest of the periodic table ;) It's amazing what you find out off your Danish Sandwich Student....so I don't know if it's true.

Chewbar for me, though :D (although I prefer bass, I just find myself falling into it, but usually only when referring to Eb machines for some reason!)

11. Charmed

Charmed Active Member

Eb Bass!

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    TUBA
  13. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Definitely "T'yewber" for me - starts with the letter "T", so there is no excuse for the sound "ch"!

As for the increasing use of tuba rather than bass, I think it stems partly from people becoming more involved in other forms of music-making, and also because, to non-musicians, they will understand what you mean if you use the term "tuba". I would personally usually use the term "bass" only if I was talking with other banders, and wanting to distinguish whether we were talknig about Eb or Bb.

14. JDH

JDH Member

Interesting you select "Too-ba" being from Texas, because I was thinking it is more American sounding.

For using Bass, or Tuba. I would say the instrument is a Tuba (Eb tuba, or BBb tuba) with its musical part in the band being Eb bass, or BBb bass. But no-one outside banding knows the instrument as a Bass - to them bass is one of those big wooden things with strings.

15. Anglo Music Press

Anglo Music Press Active Member

To add a bit of boring research (!) Bass is what Sax called it (ie Bass Saxhorn). Chewba is how it SHOULD be pronounced. (Americans say Toobuh in the same way they pronounce 'problem' as 'prarm' and 'Bush' as 'President') !!!

If anyone's interested the Tenor Horn is called that (rather than Alto) as Sax had a version in F which he called Alto (Sax)Horn.

Here endeth the lesson for today :evil:

16. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

Tuba, should be pronounced with just a hint of derision, bodering on scorn. ;)

17. Di

Di Active Member

So that would make you BBCBase then Pat? ;)

18. Will the Sec

How does one boder, Rapier? Is it a horn player's technique? :rolleyes:

19. Will the Sec

Nope, afraid not. *blood rushes to his head as he disagrees with his idol...*

For it to be pronounced "Chewba", the phonetic spelling following the entry in the NODDY would be a "t" following by a a squiggle resembling a lopsided and slightly enlarged "S". (as in the entry for 'station'.) In the entry for "Tuba", the "t" is followed by a "j", indicating that the first sound should be pronounced in the same way as the second syllable in Tubular. (Which I pronounce "T'yew'b'ewler ;) )

Shame I can't work out how to show the "funny" letters to demonstrate!

20. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

It's not my fault this keyboard can't spell! You knew what I meant, anyway Horn players should pronounce all other band instruments with a hint of derision, bordering on scorn! :p

21. Di

Di Active Member

Dictionary definition here actually gives you a wav file of someone saying the word. But it also gives 2 different examples of pronunciation. ;)

22. Will the Sec

With due respect to the FREE DICTIONARY, I think I'll continue to take counsel from the OED on pronunciation...