How Old were you when you started

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by lilcornetgirl, Aug 18, 2003.

?

How old were you when you started playing

1. 6 - 8 years

53.3%
  2. 8 - 10 years

15.2%
  3. 10 - 12 years

16.2%
  4. 12 - 14 years

6.7%
  5. 14 - 16 years

2.9%
  6. 16 - 20 years

1.9%
  7. Over 20 years

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Over 30 years

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Over 40 years

3.8%
  1. lilcornetgirl

lilcornetgirl Member

I was just wondering when everyone started playing Brass it is sorta cool findin out what age caz then you find out what age most peps started.

I started when 7 i have been playing for nearly 7 years but when i was in one band it didn't really help because they didn't help you they only noticed one person and that was his daughter and his family i was stuck on 3rd cornet for about 6 years then i asked him why i was there and why his neice went on 2nd and she was rubbish and he said cas she is better then you and you are to rubbish you can't even play half the oieces i could and i proved him right but that really knocked my confidence now i am in a band who thinks everyone is the same i am am so happy that i found it and i am rep.

So how long have you played or what age did you start. :D :cry: :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

lov lilcornetgirl

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Brass
    family
    cornet
    everyone
    :D :D
  3. LU-Brasser

LU-Brasser Member

Re: How Old was you when you started

I started with 9 years.. I play since beginning Cornet, ca.6 years Bb and now since ca.6 years Eb-Cornet..

4. Keppler

Keppler Moderator Staff Member

:shock: Breathe please! I feel dizzy after reading that!!
    Anyway - I was 10 I think.. all those years ago..

5. lilcornetgirl

lilcornetgirl Member

Sorry i am rubbish at puncuation and anyway you should be good at breathing lol :p :lol: :D

6. neiltwist

neiltwist Active Member

so was I!

7. sudcornet

sudcornet Member

I was eight, had been playing violin for 2 years and was crap, so when the violin teacher had a heart attack and died on York Station, my mum took it as an omen and asked the bandmaster to let me have a go on a cornet.....32 years later some would say still crap on cornet!!

Sud.

8. Mike Saville

Mike Saville Member

You're not a relative of madandcrazytromboneguy are you? He may even have sat next to you in English!! :D

Anyhow. Was 12 I think.

9. michellegarbutt

michellegarbutt Supporting Member

I was 7 :lol:

10. lilcornetgirl

lilcornetgirl Member

I was severn to and i don't think that i was sat next to him cas i am still at school and anyway i wouldn't worry whoever said that they were crap you won't be i have a feeling of that.

11. JessopSmythe

JessopSmythe Active Member

I was 6 when I started as about 8th man down the 3rd cornets. Probably a bit too young as it's left me with odd shaped teeth

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Brass
    family
    cornet
    everyone
    :D :D
  13. jo

jo Member

about 10 on percussion, but had tortured a number of instruments prior to that including violin, clarinet and piano :)

14. stephen2001

stephen2001 Member

Was given a Tenor Horn at around about 7 years old, but never started properly until I was 11 and had lessons at school.
    Since then, I have played just about every brass instrument from Tenor Horn down!

15. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Started on clarinet at 7 or 8; took up alto sax at 12; little dabbling on viola in the school orchestra around 14; started brass at 16 - tenor horn>baritone> bass trom>tuba. Now playing various brass, but mainly BBb bass in the band and alto sax in the Salvation Army Symphonic Wind Ensemble.

16. IYOUNG

IYOUNG Member

Bb Cornet aged 7
    Horn aged 11
    Euphonium aged 14
    EEb Bass aged 16
    wouldn't lowere myself to BBb bass so on the way back up now
    Baritone Aged 25+

Now conducting as well,

Ian Young

17. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

I have been playing for just under 5 years. Tried playing the trombone for a few months until i found God's instrument (euphonium) and haven't looked back since. :)

18. amgray

amgray Member

I started at 10 with a pants teacher (NB Shouting loud doesn't make a kid practice more), he was replaced with another pants teacher who said I would never make anything of trombone( :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ) and took it off me.
    Went to secondary school and got a really good teacher (Dennis Goodison) and subsequently did quite well 8)

19. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

Started at 11 years old on tenor horn - I had a tone like a rat p***ing in a tin !! - When I was 14 Peter Kitson said "You have two choices, EEb Bass or the door" - I've been lugging the B***dy thing around ever since !!!!!!

20. Cantonian

Cantonian Active Member

I was seven when I started learning Tenor Horn. Apart from dabbling with French Horn from age 12-17 I have stuck with Tenor Horn.

When learning, once I could play two pieces from the Orange Unity series book (SA bandsmen will recognise Merrily Onward and Llanfair), I joined the Junior Band. My much more experienced 2nd Horn colleague (he was 13) gave me advice which has stuck with me for 38 years:
    " If you get lost wiggle your valves and blow!"

21. Keppler

Keppler Moderator Staff Member

You know, a certain respected cornet player said much the same to me last week.. ;)

22. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

When did you learn the next bit of advice: black notes on page = empty the water out of your valves :?: :wink: :lol: