How old is Dyke?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Dave Payn, Oct 19, 2004.

1. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

http://www.4barsrest.com/news/detail.asp?id=2651

Just wondering 'cos some 17 years ago, a recording came out on the Chandos label celebrating '150 Years of Black Dyke'...... Is there something obvious I'm missing? (Wouldn't be a first! ;-))

2. Sellers_Bird

Sellers_Bird Active Member

which dyke are we talking about? tee hee

3. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

From the sleeve notes of the new recording, "Trumpet of the Angels": In 1816 . . Peter Wharton founded a brass and reed band. . . . The life of this band was short-lived . . . In 1833 a new band was formed - the Queenshead band, and in September 1855 John Foster & Son 'adopted' the band, acquiring a new set of instruments and attracting new members . . .

It would seem that there are actually 3 dates! The previous recording marked the anniversary of the founding of the Queenshead Band, whereas the second date, 2005, wil mark the 150th anniversary of the association with John Foster & Son.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2004
  4. You're in for it now anna... I made a homosexual comment on here and was branded homophobic! Funny that, since I live with 3 gay lads ;)

Run for coverrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

5. dyl

dyl Active Member

The recording that came out '17 years ago' which, incidentally I can't find on Chandos' website, still doesn't tally though! ;)

6. PeterBale

It might be closer now I've edited my post, and remember Dave's memory isn't what it used to be!!!

7. dyl

dyl Active Member

Jeez, I don't know! How many birthdays does a band need? Just goes to show, Black Dyke = The Queen of Banding! ;)

8. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Getting mixed up with the BB Centenary Concert........ (which was some 17 years ago?)

;-)

9. PeterBale

10. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Dyke
    Chandos
    Black Dyke
    Years of Black Dyke
    Chandos label
  12. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly Active Member

Not only that, but according to the big advertisement in the programme for the Great Northern Brass Arts Festival 2004, they have set the date for their 150th anniversary gala concert at the Bridgewater Hall as Friday 20 May 2005. Whit Friday!!! Either the Bridgewater Hall is going to be almost empty, or else Saddleworth and Tameside will be very quiet next year.

13. Cantonian

Cantonian Active Member

One of the guys in our band, when he retired from work bought himself a PC with internet access. On his first night as a 'siver surfer' he typed Black Dyke into Google!!!!!

14. Revel8ion

Revel8ion New Member

I have the 1987 Recording, which is tiled “150 years of John Foster Black Dyke Mills Band”. It is on the Chandos label number CHAN 8558 and was recorded in Dewsbury Town Hall on July 5, 1987.

I don’t know if this settles the argument one way or another, but here are the sleeve notes word for word.

“In 1816 Peter Wharton, the landlord of the ‘Old Dolphin’ formed a small brass and reed band in the village of Queenshead, later to be renamed Queensbury. Among its members was a certain John Foster who played the French horn. The band, reportedly the best in the district, eventually broke up with the players going into a newly formed Queenshead Band.

In 1819 at the age of 21, John Foster had set up as a worsted manufacturer. At this time he was part of the ‘domestic system’, organising and financing the activities of scattered hand loom weavers. The business prospered and in January 1835 work began on a mill at Queensbury. It was named “Black Dyke” after a family farm.

In 1837, the year in which Queen Victoria began her long reign, the village band began its association with Black Dyke Mills. Brass instruments were undergoing a period of development. The valved system which we now use was being perfected by a Belgian, Adolphe Sax, and by the end of the 1840’s the ‘brass Band’ became a practical proposition.

It was in 1855, thirty nine years after joining ‘Peter Wharton’s Band’ that John Foster equipped the band with a set of the new brass instruments”.

15. Rimshot

Rimshot New Member

An article in the halifax evening courier on monday about dykes' win at the weekend, also stated that the band would celebrate it's 150th anniversary in 2005, therefore me thinks this will be the 150th year of blak dyke as a BRASS band!! 1855 - 2005

16. Boneman

Boneman Member

I too have this album and have been confused by the recent news that Black Dyke Band are to celebrate 150 years . . . . but I never was very good at maths

That said it is a great album! - there is a great piece called 'Ruler of the Spirits' by Weber - a great piece that I have no theard before . . . or since