How often do you practice?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Matt Lawson, Apr 3, 2008.

?

How often do you practice?

1. Every day.

21 vote(s)
    24.1%
  2. 5-6 times a week.

23 vote(s)
    26.4%
  3. 3-4 times a week.

28 vote(s)
    32.2%
  4. Band Rehearsals only.

15 vote(s)
    17.2%
  1. Matt Lawson

Matt Lawson Member

Apologies if this has been done before, but I had a quick search and browse and couldn't find anything.

Time to be honest folks, even if it's through an anonymous click on one of the poll answers!

Part of my downfall as a player used to be not enough practice between band rehearsals, so I've set myself a strict regime now. Although it's probably not that strict, because the only person who can enforce it is me. Anyway, I digress.

How often do you get down and dirty with your brass or percussion in your own home?

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    practice
    strict regime
    player
    anonymous click
    poll answers
  3. leisa

leisa Active Member

Theres nothing in the poll for it but basically whenever i have time and can. The women next door to us works shifts and we live in a terrace (as you've seen matt!) so i find it difficult to find a time when i can practice, we dont have many rooms in ourt house and have people on either side. I often try and work out when shift lady is at work by when her car isn't there and try and sneak in some time then but thats only when shes working in the day cos i obv wouldnt be able to do it at night. And before anyone say 'doh use a practice mute' i dont have one, i cant afford one and i dont really want one anyway, i would rather practice as im actually gonna play and thats not with a practice mute in!

4. Matt Lawson

Matt Lawson Member

I never practice at halls, which is why it's good that I'm still at Uni.

I've just been down there today for a blow, not another person in the whole department as it's Easter. I can play as loud and raucously as I want, and there's noone around to hear me.

I'll go back to playing quiet when they all turn up again next week.

I bought a practice mute but don't like what they do to the tone.

5. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

I think, as is reflective in our culture today, many of us practice binge practing. Layoff during the weeknights then go crazy on the weekends or bank holidays, sometimes for 3 hours at a time. It also tends to go up at contest time.;)

6. leisa

leisa Active Member

Aye thats what i do!

Matt the practice rooms at uni are there to practice in funnily enough! Play as loud as you want and drown over the string and woodwind beurgh.

7. flugelman

flugelman Member

Not enough at the minute. I agree that the poll would be more representative if there was a 'when I can' choice. Its often difficult to balance work, family etc. as well as finding time to practice. However I do seem to find the time leading up to a contest or when I have got a solo coming up. Maybe its just an excuse then!!

8. Aussie Tuba

Aussie Tuba Member

Not enough, I find I need something to work towards and there's nothing to work for at the moment, I think I miss contesting that gave me something to work for.

9. Esscee

Esscee New Member

I try to practice every day cos I need it!

After 12 years away I sound like a beginner

10. barrytone

barrytone Member

I have just found my old practice journals from when I had weekly lessons and I have put that practice regime in it back into use. Sadly my music teacher passed away several years ago but having the journals is like having him sat next to me again. Strange how I still make the same mistakes now as I did then! I try to practice every day but what you practice is as important as how much practice you do. So glad that George wrote everything down for me, really helps me focus on doing the basics well.

11. Vegasbound

Vegasbound Active Member

I am lucky enough to be able to practice 2-3 hours every day.

Every now and again I have a "no practice" day....on these days I only do my 20-30 minute warm up and nothing else.

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    practice
    strict regime
    player
    anonymous click
    poll answers
  13. quantumq4

quantumq4 Member

I don't have space to practice at home, so I use band time to pactice on kit. I usually only play timps when I've got a G+S show and it floods back pretty quickly. I do need to unbury the xylo though.........

14. animal.22

animal.22 Member

I usualy try to get in at least an hour a day which is mostly spent on rudiments.If I have more time I'll then go on to do band pieces that i might be struggling with.I do give myself "time off" especialy after contests,went to band practice last night which was the first time I'd touched my kit since we went to our regionals last sunday.

15. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

Not enough! Should every day, but I manage about 3/4 times a week. We lost the internet for about 10 days and I did more then. Says something!

16. i practice quite alot, maybe not everyday
    ;)
    the only days i generally don't practice is when i have a normal band practice on (or an engagement etc.)

17. JonP

JonP Member

Im afraid i have to practise everyday, feel like a slave sometimes, but i just cant maintain the level with sporadic practise. I could "get away with it" but i think its probably as much a mental confidence thing as anything else. If i know im in practise and strong i play better.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2008
  18. emziesonic

emziesonic Member

Everyday!! You could call me a band geek haha!:biggrin:

19. Mesmerist

Mesmerist Well-Known Member

Normally every day but had last week off due to being away and not being able to take flugel with me.
    Oh boy was I absolutely shocking last night. Cue very sarcastic conductor and one very grumpy player and a frosty drive home.

Must be a southern thing. Everyone knows players in the north practice harder and longer...

20. andy;-)

andy;-) Member

Why didn't you take your mouthpiece with you? 5-10 mins buzzing in the hotel room a night keeps the lip in reasonable condition surprisingly well!!

21. i've always hated using a practice mute but i recently got a new one which is much better!
    and i TRY to practice every day...........

22. Mesmerist

Mesmerist Well-Known Member

Truth is I forgot to pack it!:oops: