How Often do you clean your instrument?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Ryan06, Oct 3, 2008.

1. Ryan06

Ryan06 Member

How often do you clean your instrument? I basically clean mine once every week...some people in one of the bands I play in doesn't even clean their instrument at all and it looks disgusting.

Brass bands or any type of bands should have this as their #1 rule... 'you must keep your instrument clean!' Especially before a performance.

2. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

Do you mean inside or out?

I give mine a proper wash through about every 6 months - longer if its bad timing before contests (never do it within a month) or less if the valves are getting really cacky. I give the outside a proper polish at the same time and make do with a quick wipe with a duster or silver cloth in-between times.

Sure clean, shiny instruments look smart....
    but if there's any rules I'd prefer no. 1 to be learn your dots :wink:

3. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

Euphonium: once in 15 years!
    Trombone: About once a year
    Bass trumpet: about twive since I've had it (11 years)
    Alto trombone: Not yet, I've only had it three years

I depped for a fairly prestigious band quite recently and an old boy came up to me in the interval and told me off for not having a shiny instrument and playing a 'bass' trombone (a Bb/F Conn). There's no pleasing some people!

4. Al

Al Member

When I joined a local band they gave me a BBb that hadn't been used for years. It took over 4 hours to get it sorted after a full strip down.

It would take the best part of an hour to clean, perhaps every 6 months.

You lot with shiny lacquer coated pea-shooters just don't appreciate what bass players have to go through!

5. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

The day my performance is judged on how clean my instrument is, rather than what it sounds like, is the day I'll be giving up playing for good.

6. Bass Trumpet

Good thing I don't play for your band, then! :biggrin:

7. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

I generally give my tuba a thorough cleaning and take out all the slides, valves etc about one every 6 months. Last time I used the steradent in a bath method and if you had seen what crawled out and the colour I think anyone leaving an instrument longer than that is asking to catch some horrible disease.

Most dirt on the outside comes from water running out of valve etc and I suppose you can either wipe it off at the end of a rehearsal or leave it and give a good clean now and again.

8. davidquinlan

davidquinlan Member

We used to slag a mate off with..

"hey there, your instrument is really shiny... you must be getting no gigs!!"

I cleaned my sop out a couple of weeks ago, 2nd time this year I'm ashamed to say... quite a bit of gunk came out... feels like it's a large bore now :)
    Will increase the frequency of my cleaning methinks.... gotta do my cornet & trumpet next....

9. Despot

Despot Member

Full clean, inside and out, every six months. Valves a bit more often. (Euph)

The bigger the instrument, the greater the risk of damage while cleaning. If you've ever tried to wash a bass in your average bathroom you'll know what I'm talking about! You can chuck a cornet into your kitchen sink, but euphs and basses tend to be a long and careful process - and even then you'll probably pick up a ding!

For larger instruments, you have to consider the very real possibility of damage. Washing your BBb every week would just be asking for it - not to mention time consuming!

10. GJG

GJG Well-Known Member

;) Yes, Duncan, I meant to speak to you about that after Butlins earlier this year. There's no excuse, really; you know you can get nice shiny trombones on E-bay for well under £100 ... and they do look neater without all that extraneous plumbing.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Brass bands
    type of bands
    people
    week
    instrument
  12. Bass Trumpet

I am ashamed...:oops:

13. MrBb

MrBb Member

My concert / contest cornet gets a bath once ever six months and re lubed up.. found a great tip for trigger slides and main slides (thanks to Dr Richard Smith for these).. use olive oil on the trigger slides and Linolium (or eqvilent - like e45 cream) on the main tuning slide. Since doing this i've never had a sticky trigger or unmovble main tuning slide and they only get done when i bath it.

My Marching cornet only gets washed when its almost unplayable :)

Andy

14. gcbtrom

gcbtrom Member

I clean my trombone every couple of months or so. Also clean it before a Concert if it feels like its not as free as it normally is.

I clean the Euph twice a year as I hardly play it and a good soak in the bath and that does the job for me.

15. davidquinlan

davidquinlan Member

Ha, take it to the local swimming pool.... quick dip...

16. steve butler

steve butler Active Member

I give mine a damn good polish on a weekly basis!

he he , just noticed me and David Quinlan make a nice pair :D

17. emziesonic

emziesonic Member

Once a month it has its bath...at the same time i give it a nice polish with goddards silver polish <<< crackin stuff :biggrin:

Then every time i practise it gets a dust off afterwards:oops: haha

18. steve butler

steve butler Active Member

Nice new look Emzie! - Are those my earrings?

19. emziesonic

emziesonic Member

Thankyou:biggrin:
    I thought you wanted to keep that a secret Steve? :tongue:

20. andyp

andyp Active Member

Every couple of months (depending on how much playing I've done) I give my cornet a good soak in lukewarm water and bicarbonate of soda, cleans it inside and out.

21. catherine_S

catherine_S Member

My bass generally gets a full inside and out clean about three times a year or more if necessary e.g. it ALWAYS gets one after Christmas - the amount of gunk that it is capable of acquiring after a month of going round the pubs is revolting. Otherwise it just gets a polish before a contest (Goddards foaming polish) or when it looks a real mess.

The worst haul after carolling (in the days before smoke-free pubs!) was three cigarette butts INSIDE the third valve of the euphonium - I thought it sounded as though something had died in it!

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    Brass bands
    type of bands
    people
    week
    instrument