How much is too much

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by johnmartin, Sep 14, 2006.

1. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

For my sins I am our band librarian and would like to know what other band libarians experiences are regarding amount of music in folders.

From my own experience it seems that the human brain can handle up to about 30 pieces out at any one time. After that stuff starts to get lost or torn or fed to the dog or whatever else players get up to with it. I've just spent the best part of a week sorting out our folders in which I counted 67 individual sets of music and a collection about 20 'odds and sods', most of that being stuff that should have been handed in months ago.

Percussion and front row cornets are also the worst offenders in respect of multiple parts in one folder which sometimes results in there being no part at a rehearsal if the owner of such a folder isn't there.
  2. meandmycornet

meandmycornet Active Member

Well we had a tidy out a little while back... we had nearly 150 pieces in some peoples folders! We've got it down to about 60 I think.... still FAR FAR FAR too many... although since the appointment of our new (amazing!) MD we have discussed getting everything out and starting again... and having about 12 pieces in the folder and then if we put a new on in... take an old one out sort of thing!
  3. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

I tried that and it doesn't work because if I miss one rehearsal that's when the resident decides to try out some new stuff which isn't then communicated to me so the system fails. Another gripe I have is when a set is put out and the parts for players who aren't there are handed out too. Invariably these parts either don't get put in any folder or they are taken by one of the other players in the section which leads to cries of "I don't have any music" at the next rehearsal.
  4. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

-try and make sure if a set is only out for a duration of a rehearsal with no definite plans of future use that they are handed immediately back in!

TIMBONE Active Member

Haha, I am saying nothing, my lip is tightly buttoned.......Sparklinquavers? Brian? Ju33les? , maybe you might like to add a comment about our pads lol
  6. Kiz7

Kiz7 Member

don't know about how many is too many, but a system that seemed to worked quite well was at the band my daughter started out with in the 4th section, whereby they put all the music to be handed out in suspension files in a filing cabinet under the part name (e.g. 3rd cornet) and if you didn't have the music at practice then the odds were that it was in the filing cabinet under your part name! if you missed a rehearsal and didn't have the part, you knew where to find it. Equally, for music being handed in then a list of pieces was left on your stand, you then had to sort it out an put it in the "in" folder in the filing cabinet under your part name. The two different suspension files were colour coded - e.g, out was blue and in was red. No excuses then. it seemed to work pretty well (except for when they forgot to tell new members that was the system! Doh!)
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2006
  7. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

Being a band librarian is a fascinating study into human behaviour. One day I shall publish my findings in a paper for the Royal Society. :)
  8. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

The favourite must be when you want to try a solo and there is never a soloist's part.
  9. Daisy Duck

Daisy Duck Member

Our band librarian is BRILLIANT! We use those school style book bags to put our music in and we normally hand back the bags at the end of each rehearsal or gig. If you want to take music to practise, most people just take one or two pieces a week rather than the whole folder, so Simon (the librarian) can sort out the music - it's a lot of work for him though. I don't know how many pieces we have in the bags at the moment, not that many really (maybe about 30?). If people take their bags home, they end up not getting the new music because it's not handed out during rehearsals.
    He decided earlier this summer that rather than have our pieces in alphabetical order in the bags, he would use a numbering system and everything is in numerical order. This works pretty well as some people would file March from the Great Escape under M and others would file it under G. Now it's just 1145 (or something like that). He also made a page to go at the front of the bag with all the numbers of the pieces and the names in alphabetical order so people can find things easily and we can write requests for music on the back of that.
  10. JamesResurgam

JamesResurgam Member

I'm sure it will rank beside Freud and Jung.

For my own sins, I have to admit I was quite well trained at Kirkie. When I went south to Frickley I had a wonderful librarian in Graham Johnson a lovely little man who was very efficient. Then when I went to IMPS it was the superb Geoff Church, who kept me on the straight and narrow. By then I had it down to a fine art, I would give them a list of what I wanted to do that week, which was seperate from the concert folder. If I wanted to replace an item in the concert folder with one from the rehearsal folder the band could easily do so.
    I'm not saying I was perfect, and I did make the odd mistake, but I can say I have been thoroughly trained; to the extent that the librarian at Granite City John Benzie would compliment me on my not indulging myself in the library which I regard as forbidden territory.

11. Nuke

Nuke Active Member

Our librarian is exceptional. Hes there for the rehersals and then everyone hands there folers back in and he just goes through them all takes out the parts that arent needed and puts in new ones.