How much is Besson 600 Cornet BE622 worth?

Discussion in 'Classifieds' started by 2007besson2052, Mar 12, 2007.

1. I have a Besson 600 series cornet (about 7 years old but only used for 3, stored safely for last 4), in silver plate in very good condition (all slides move smoothly, one scratch and slight dink/bend in the bell which i'm sure could be pushed out very easily, hardly noticeable), case in perfect condition with perfect new Dennis Wick 2 piece cup mute and humes & berg straight stone lined mute. It has the mouthpiece that came with the instrument and a Dennis Wick mouthpiece.

I play the Euphonium now so want to sell this instrument, 2 mutes and 2 mouthpieces. How much is it worth?! Everyone's view is welcome as I'm stuck and would like a good few opinions before i sell.
  2. eckyboy

eckyboy Member

Disregard the mutes and mouthpieces as they are honestly irrelevant and ask for £400
  3. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

If I'm right in thinking that the 600 series was the student range ( i may be wrong),
    you would be lucky to gett £400 for it.
    you can pick up a new 1000 range besson for £250, and second hand for much less.

Why not try offering it to your local youth bands, if you want to sell it?
  4. I hope i will be able to sell it to a player at my local youth band. I agree, I don't think I paid much more than £450 when i bought it myself! I wanted to get an idea of what was a fair amount to advertise it for at the local youth band first. What do you think it's worth? It does have a good sound and doesn't look or play like a student instrument. Probably best described as intermediate level...!
  5. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

i picked up a besson 1000 (second hand) for £150
    there are usually one or two of these on ebay ( i couldn't find one today though!!)
    i would have said around the 150-175 mark. i personaly dont think you'll get much more especially with some (even slight) damage to it
  6. Yeah i agree with you, i was expecting about the £150 range. I think if i put it up for sale for £175 or even £200, I'm sure someone would be happy to bargin with me...! Thank you for your help. If anyone else has an opinion on the value, please still say!
  7. jasonG

jasonG New Member

The 600 model was the student model from a few years ago produced here in the UK. Although superseded by the besson 1000 which was produced in India, is a superior instrument in my opinion. If memory serves me well I think the RRP on a new one was around £500 as opposed to the besson 1000 which was only ever around half that.
    I reckon one in good condition these days ought to fetch around the £200 mark....
  8. Sounds good to me. I agree that the UK made ones are better than the India produced ones of more modern days...