How many University students are on tMP?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by m.f.cooper, Feb 20, 2007.

1. m.f.cooper

m.f.cooper Member

I'm just wondering how many of us are out there.

And also how many Uni bands there are.

Warwick, Leeds and Durham have just had a joint concert together, and Oxford and Cambridge had a similar gig too. Would be nice to find everyone so we can ALL get together!

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    University
    tMP
    Warwick
    Leeds
    Durham
  3. TuTuKu

TuTuKu Active Member

I'm a student at Edinburgh and we have a brass band, formed a year and a half ago and going strong!!

4. Craigsav83

Craigsav83 Active Member

Just beat me to it! Unfortunatly there doesnt seem to be as many uni based bands as there could be. After a spell at Edinburgh uni, I'm at Salford doing the music course, so I dont think our bands count as they are kinda compulsary!

You will find there are loadsa students on tMP, though not all studying music.

5. m.f.cooper

m.f.cooper Member

Well, none of Warwick do music - There is no music degree!

6. six pints

six pints Active Member

I'm at durham, but dont play for the uni band. Always used to have the time to go home to play for my own band, unfortunately as an old 4th year I need to do work now :(

7. Feefee

Feefee Member

huddersfield have a uni band!!!

8. tubadaz

tubadaz Member

I'm a mature (Ha! Right!!:D) student in the electronics department at York Uni. We don't have a brass band, but quite a few students play for the Shepherd Group Band, as well as playing for the Uni Concert Band.

Darryl

9. vcbjet

vcbjet Member

I am a student at Staffs University based in sunny Stoke-on-Trent and I play with Audley Brass, which is a couple of miles up the A500. I am lucky in the fact I have a car and I am able to make my own way to/from band.

I find banding an excellent way of popping out the student bubble for a couple of hours a week - It's great it gives you a chance to meet some real locals - The fact the band are busy with both concerts and contests make even more fun!

10. HBB

HBB Active Member

I'm a student at the RNCM. College band is compulsory, so I don't think that it counts either!!

11. Scott

Scott New Member

I'm a student at the University of Glasgow studying history. We don't have a brass band but Whitburn takes enough time out of my 'studies'! It would be interesting to see if there were enough players interested in starting a band up though!

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    University
    tMP
    Warwick
    Leeds
    Durham
  13. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

I'm a grad student at Ohio State. They have 4 or 5 wind bands each term, but no proper brass bands (although the autumn quarter marching band is 225 brass & percussion - no woodwinds!!)

14. Veri

Veri Member

I suppose, technically, I'm a university student, since I'm doing a masters full time. At the University of West of England, Bristol. I believe they have a brass consort, but given that I live in Oxford, and go over to Bristol as little as possible, I haven't investigated. Oxford Uni has a v good brass band, which I wanted to join, but my life at the mo, what with my job, and preparation for the areas at my band, is just a little too crazy.

15. andreab

andreab Member

What do you mean by that, young whippersnapper?

16. picju96

picju96 Member

My sister is currently involved in the setting up of a Brass Band at Reading University. They don't seem to have many instruments or players yet though!

17. leisa

leisa Active Member

yeah we do!! Think it's compulsary if your doin performance as a 'major',we just have it once a week and do occasional concerts in st pauls (which is sort of attached to the uni), then at xmas we do em in dewsbury and leeds n stuff...we actually don't do that many concerts...but isn't it fun when we do :-S

Last edited: Feb 21, 2007
  18. vcbjet

vcbjet Member

I get to meet real people, rather than the student kind (great as we are) which is nice as it allows me to appreciate my new location even more!

19. Andy_Euph

Andy_Euph Active Member

I'm a student....although not for much longer :cry:

20. Leyfy

Leyfy Active Member

when i was at Leeds uni (2000-2003 Music Degree) we had both LUUMS band (run by the union, which was for anyone) and a brass band full of musicians from the different music degree courses.

Was fab - first time I played Year of the Dragon. Still one of my favourite pieces to play.

Happy Days :)

(plus old bar was great for straight after rehearsals!!)

21. onebandman

onebandman New Member

"How many University students are on tMP?"

Too many!!

Go and get a job!!

I hate students!!

(I don't really.)

22. im at loughborough uni , no uni brass band but there is a concert band ,

play for staffordshire , theyre about 40 minutes drive away