How many times a week ..... ?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Di, Nov 7, 2003.

1. Di

Di Active Member

No, there's no need to cut me off, I'm talking about music!

I know we've had a similar thread on "how far do you travel", but I'm wondering if anyone out there has any time for anything else except music!

I've got 2 kids, both in separate bands and our standard week is as follows:

Monday - child 2 - band practice.
    Tuesday - child 1 (Vickitorious) - band practice.
    Wednesday - child 1 - horn lesson.
    Thursday - child 2 - band practice.
    Friday - child 1 - piano lesson.
    Saturday - whatever is thrown at us engagementwise by two bands!!
    Sunday - ditto saturday - child 1 band practice.

From now until Christmas, between the two bands and my own "part time" band, we have a total of 28 band engagements or solo contests.

Does this sound familiar to anyone else or am I (as :? chief driver for all of the above) being overworked?
  2. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

the year before last, i was playing with smithills school who regularly have 30 + gigs in december alone!! plus all of the besses gigs, AND quintet + busking!!!! bit hectic... ice cubes on the lips come janurary!
  3. leisa

leisa Active Member

Monday 4pm-5pm orchestra, 8-10pm - Flixton
    Tuesday - 5-6pm - Cornet lesson (with brett)
    Wednesday - 5.30-6pm - Flute lesson, 7.30-9.30 - occasionly stockport rehearsal if a concert or contest is coming up.
    Thursday - 8-10pm - Flixton
    Friday - 11-12am Cornet lesson (from college) then 7.30 - possible concert
    Saturday - 9.30-12am- Stockport schools brass band, 7.30pm-possible concert or contest
    Sunday - possible concert/contest

:shock: people have got worse though :shock: :?
  4. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

Monday: 11-12.30 Salford Uni Brass Band
    Tuesday: 11-12.30 Adelphi Brass Band (uni)
    3-4.30 Salford Uni WindBand
    8-10 Leyland
    Wednesday: 11- 12.30 Salford Uni Brass Band
    Thursday: 8-10 Leyland
    Friday: 11.30-1 Adelphi Brass

Weekends: gigs/contests... etc

Think that's it! :shock:
    Very tiring!
  5. Di

Di Active Member

Wow, I'm glad I'm not alone on that. Now don't get me wrong, I love taking them to band and sitting through their practices, I even join in when I'm needed. (I used to play regularly, but gave up when the kids got better than me :oops: ). I'm very proud of both of them and glad they have something worthwhile that takes up their spare time.
  6. EIBB_Ray

EIBB_Ray Member

you must have had some time for something else at some point. You do have 2 kids.......
  7. drummergurl

drummergurl Active Member

monday and thursdays- brother to band, me to band, mum and dad to band! and my bro plays wit rainford, i play wit haydock, mum n dad play with skelmersdale! bit of a predicament there!
  8. trombelle

trombelle Member

me, my bro and dad all play. so between our band rehersals, we also have school bands/orchs, college orch/jazz group, guesting,
    gigs and contests with all of the above and lessons and practice lol.
    mum doesnt play tho, shes more a triangle player/lift giver. not to be underestimated...cudnt do it all without her!!
    im guessin other young players must have pretty supportive parents, non-playing or otherwise?? they dont get the reocgnition they deserve!!
  9. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

I've cut down a lot over the last year or so, but it's still by and large, a case of:

Monday: Croydon Brass Band (take cornet along to practice before conducting band!)
    Tuesday: Practice, some arranging, some FIFA 2004!
    Wednesday: Score studying/marking
    Thursday: Fulham Brass Band
    Friday: Croydon Brass Band (and beforehand practice again!)
    Saturday**: Normal shopping/Window shopping (well wouldn't you with a name like Payn?? :lol: ) Score studying/marking
    Sunday**: Day off

** Unless band jobs etc. come up!

Still, I don't always stick to the score studying/practice regimes riigidly.... :oops:
  10. SBB

SBB Member

Monday-School Wind Band
    Tuesday-Piano Lesson and School Jazz Band
    b]Wednesday[/b]Silk Brass
    Thursday-Lesson with Mark Wilkinson and School Blues Band
    Friday -South East Chesire Youth
    SaturdaySome concert Somewhere
    SundaySilk Brass

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Very Very Very Very Tiring!!!!!!!!!1[/b]
  11. cornetgirl

cornetgirl Active Member

Well, I am impressed with all the juggling everyone does!

As for me:
    Monday - study and practise (sometimes...ok rarely...)
    Tuesday - study, arrange, sit in front of TV and drink coffee
    Wednesday - afternoon shift in theatre at the local hospital then straight to band (although at the moment I'm also doing some courses on the evenings to get through an exam)
    Thursday - half day - YAY! Study in the afternoon, flugel lesson and orchestra / course
    Friday - Depends - if I'm in Driffield then I'll be at Driffield Silver Band (conducted by VC)
    Saturday - concert possibly
    Sunday - band!

I think I have it easy!

Rach x
  12. groovy

groovy Active Member

Not nearly as bad as some people's schedules!

Monday - Lesson (maybe), Perth Youth Orchestra
    Tuesday - Lesson (maybe), School Brass Ensemble
    Wednesday - Brass free day (well, apart from practise and the odd after school job.)
    Thursday - Central Groups Brass Band
    Friday - School Wind Band
    Saturday - Maybe job/concert, otherwise shopping :D
    Sunday - Youth & senior band rehersals, maybe job

In the few weeks before Christmas it's out all day Saturday and Sunday carolling. :(
  13. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

I used to have something nearly every night when I was at Uni trying to juggle a couple of bands there, a local brass band and being president of the music soc

I am now down to Mon and Thurs 8-10pm with Flixton.... a breeze ! 8)
  14. Di

Di Active Member

This few days alone ....

Went to Stockport (from Hinckley) yesterday to play last night in concert, got home this afternoon. Will take Vicki to rehearse with one band while Hubby takes Adam to another. Tomorrow, Vicki has piano lesson followed by school play while I take Ad to a band gig. Saturday, Vicki has a "conductors workshop" in the afternoon led by Frank Renton, and a gig depping with a another band in the evening while Ad has a gig with his band again. Sunday Vicki will be solo contesting in North Derbyshire following by band rehearsal in the evening. I think we all meet sometime Sunday night about 10:45 ???