How many run throughs can you manage?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Giohorn, Apr 29, 2004.

how many complete run throughs can you manage?

1. 1 run through

2. 2-3 run throughs

1. Giohorn

Giohorn New Member

How many run throughs can you manage of Journey into Freedom? :shock:

I consider myself a very strong player and with good stamina qualities (ooeer!) But this piece is a bludgen to the chops job :evil:

Please give me your views on this wonderfull piece. Keep it to the stamina though!!
  2. Pj

Pj New Member

were forced arduously to do 2 a nite! i keep coming home with my lips looking like ive had implants! good piece but its really doing my head in now...and we still got 5 rehearsals to go!! :shock: be glad to get it over and done with now.
  3. Dave Payn

Dave Payn Active Member

Shouldn't the plural of 'run through' be 'runs through' (as in 'courts martial') rather than 'run throughs'?

Yours in a white wine sauce etc. etc.
    Payn the Pedant.
  4. Trog's

Trog's Member

Journey into freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeedom

I had a one and a half sectional followed by a 2 hour full rehersal last hurt! I couldn't play next day!!!!
  5. Trigger

Trigger Member

Well, if you ignore the cornet solo (which I never play anyway thank god) and the really exposed cornet part towards the endish (which, again, I avoid at all costs), then I suppose two or three times would be the vote. But that sort of takes out the essence of the piece. Right lip wrecker that one! :?
  6. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

I Personally can do 6/7, my lip never tire's!! my starts to ache after a little while tho :wink:
  7. Giohorn

Giohorn New Member

Ploughboy is that 6/7 as in sixth sevenths of a rehearsal?? :lol:
  8. Bones

Bones Member

Had a 4 1/2 hour rehearsal on Sunday.

1 hour bottom end sectional
    3.5 hours full band

2 run throughs of the National Test peice, and one of Dances and Areas for Pontins.

well knacked at the end of it.
  9. ronnie_the_lizard

ronnie_the_lizard Active Member

I've never had a major problem with JIF, even playing the solo EEb part.

I guess at the time my lip was pretty solid and I may have more of a problem now, but I can think of several pieces that are more of a blow than JIF.

What about Life divine?

For the more adventurous bands among you how about "Seid" - that's a double whammy because after all the massive sounds, mainly on 'split parts' so you can't take a breather, you have to come back for a ppp ending??

But more topically, for those of you in the top section who haven't tried it yet I can guarantee "Rienzi" will be a stamina-test for next spring - My lip is still taut this evening after a single run through last night.

10. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

I still can't believe Staffordshire are doing BOTH contests.

I have to say that personal my lips don't get tired during a band rehearsal no matter how long it is (when I'm playing bass). I think it would be interesting to see these votes split by instrument. I could probably make it through 1 or 2 on baritone, but no more.
  11. Red Elvis

Red Elvis Active Member

Back in 86-88 I was lucky enough to play in Colchester Institute Brass Band under Mr (Bandmaster , Chalk Farm SA) Michael Clack.We looked at "Journey into Freedom".One afternoon Mr Clack was not satisfied with our "FF" , and we ended up with Euphs, Bari's and Troms stood on our chairs giving it big stylee until we got the sound / tone he wanted. I just about made it home before collapsing with combined migraine / vomiting , and was not the only one!!
    Still rate Mr Clack as the finest band trainer I have played under though.
  12. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

I spent 45 mins practicing random musi today and felt almops dead... maybe because I was playing Bolero (uck!!!), and maybe because I was playing high stuff, but still... knackered after an hour is pretty feeble... I've always been able to do long distance flying!