How many Rich Africans?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Curiosity_Kills, Jun 30, 2006.

1. How many of these style e-mails do you get in a week?

I want to know if it's just me who gets plagued by the 'supposed' african elite ...

From Mrs Helen Lamine
    Abidjan Cote D' Ivoire West Africa

Dear Friend,

WITH THE BEST COMPLIMENTS OF THE YEAR,
    I wish to solicit your help in migrating to your country, my names is Helen Lamine are the wife of Late Dr SIMON LAMINE the former Director of military inteligence and special acting General Manager of the Sieria Leone Diamond mining coperation(SLDMC ).

Before my husband died, he me told me that he deposited 45.5 million US dollars in a 2 trunk boxes in the of my son MICHAEL as containing family valuables money so I am contacting you to seek your good ssistance to assist me release boxes from the Security Company and invest the money belonging to my late husband which is deposited in a Security Company in Abidjan. This money is revenues from solid minirals and dimonds sale which were under my husband possession before the civil war broke out.

Following the brake out of the war, almost all government offices, coperations and parastatals were attacked and vandalized. The SLDMC was loothed and burnt down to ashes, and diamonds worth millions of dollars was stolen by the rebel military forces who attacked my husband office.

Many top government officials and senior army officers were assasinated and my husband was a key target because of his very sensitive military possition and appointment in the SLDMC. Regreatably, my husband was captured and murdered along with half brother in cool blood during a mid-night rebel shoot-out when our official residence in freetown was armbushed by Fordey Sanko the notorious rebel leader.

That we should pray and find a trustworthy foreign business partner who would help us to invest this money in profitable business venture overseas.

I and my son have gone to the Security Company to make inquires about this deposit and we spoke with the Company concerning the deposit that we will come for the boxes once we have a foreign partner.

If you are willing to assist me, please let me know immediately so that I will send you all the documents concerning the deposit. Please note that we can only offer you 25% of the total money as compensation for your noble assistance in accodiance with my husband advise. We are interested in any profitable commercial venture which you consider very good in your country and you would also get a school for my son Michael.

I hoping to hear your urgent response so that I can not look for another foreign partner.
    Thank you and may God bless you and your dear family.

Yours sincerely
    Mrs Helen Lamine

I even had one once which said i would be smited by the Lord himself if i didn't send my bank details ... I suppose i'm exempt though, not having a first born child yet ...

2. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

I get at least 10 of these per week.

3. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Snap same here John so i go and tell them what to do:mad:

4. TheMusicMan

Remember Ian that by replying, you confirm there is someone at the address you replied from. Your best bet is to bin them, or get a SpamKiller app to block them.

5. dyl

dyl Active Member

Hehe - which is why you get so many! Replying to them is the worst thing you can do.

6. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Dyl the words i put are short and very sweet it consist of a 4 letter word and a 3 letter word:biggrin:

7. TheMusicMan

It doesn't matter what you put in the email Ian, the fact that you are replying is all they need. As long as they know someone is at that address they will keep at it.

8. andywooler

andywooler Supporting Member

From time to time I do trace them back via the headers and report them to their isp.
    Best one I ever received told me I had inherited an oil tanker and gave me gps coordinates as to where it was! 11/10 for trying!

9. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

I don't get any. God bless spam filters...

10. FlugelD

FlugelD Member

These guys scam the scammers - some of the reverse scams are quite good... :clap:

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    MICHAEL
    Helen Lamine
    Helen Lamine Abidjan Cote D' Ivoire West Africa
    SIMON LAMINE
    african
  12. Dave 2nd2nd Cornet

Dave 2nd2nd Cornet Active Member

I never open e-mails if i don't recognise who they're from (same with IMs too), i just click on "Report to aol" in me e-mail in-box and leave it to aol. If you reply to the e-mails you end up with more junk coming through.

13. TheMusicMan

Absolutely right Dave.

tMP Advice: Don't ever reply to any SPAM email you receive folks.

14. Andy Cooper

Andy Cooper Member

I'd second this advice wholeheartedly - In my day job I have to deal with some of the scrotes who are sending this s**t out and they are only doing it for one reason, and thats to get a link in to your identity. This is then hi jacked to do a shed load of scams - you could be credit blacklisted and know nothing about it.

As much as you want to tell them to go away in short sharp jerky movements, don't. however much you think that sounds good / compelling etc etc, at the end of the day its being generated in what is effectively a computer call centre in Lagos (or possibly another West African city)

15. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

I get quite a few of these. They seem to come in waves, nothing for months, then loads over a week. Never had one about an oil tanker though, I'm jealous. They usually claim I'm the last decsendant of the Winn family to inherit some staggering sum of money in a bank in Lagos. Oh, if only it were true... not that I'm even a member of the Winn family except by marriage and they're all older than me.
    BMB
    xx

16. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

I used to get loads of these, so I just kept binning them, it doesn't take a min and isn't really a hassle, and after a while they just stopped arriving. I don't get any now. There was a time when I'd get about 10 a day.

17. bigmamabadger

bigmamabadger Active Member

I've just had an email telling me I've won the lottery and if I send my details off to a bank in South Africa they'll pay me £1.2M.
    Very convincing, got the lottery logo and everything. It's just illiterate...
    BMB
    xx

18. Di

Di Active Member

:eek: You too? Does that mean my winnings are down to £.6m now? :(

19. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

What are the odds of that happening - two people from tMP winning the same lottery at the same time! :tongue: Wish I'd had a bet on that one at Ladbrooks!

20. Di

Di Active Member

I got my notification a while back but I don't seem to have had my winnings yet. :dunno :(

21. John Brooks

John Brooks Well-Known Member

I get loads of these too; my email address is on our company website and that makes me a target. Most often our Spam filters grabs them, but every once in a while one gets through. I got one from the UK the other day; apparently from an executive at NatWest Bank. It had all the signs of being from someone who speaks English as a second language though. Maybe they thought NatWest sounded more legitimate than the Royal National Bank of Nigeria. Some of them are candidates for the Bad Joke thread ;)

I second the previous advice....simply delete them.

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    MICHAEL
    Helen Lamine
    Helen Lamine Abidjan Cote D' Ivoire West Africa
    SIMON LAMINE
    african