how many percussionists??

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by rachael, Sep 13, 2005.

1. rachael

rachael Member

I'm sure there is a tMP'er out there who will just confirm what I think to be correct!!

For contests (inc the National Finals) are you allowed theorectically as many percussionists as you want?! For example you can run with the allocated 25 brass players and 3,4, (or more)percussion??

Thanks in advance!

2. Di

Di Active Member

I think in my day as contest secretary, it was 25 brass plus up to 3 percussion for registered contests such as the area and the finals. Of course things may have changed since then. :redface:
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2005
  3. rachael

rachael Member

Thanks Dinie.....Yeah that's what it used to be,but the wording for the majority of contests now states "25 brass and percussion as required"......I can't find anything relevant in the info I have to hand re the National Finals. I might have to go on a hunt through the mountains of paper work here!!:rolleyes:
  4. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

I've seen and played with bands (me being a percussionist) with upto and including 4 percussionists at the Nationals etc ...
  5. Straightmute

Straightmute Active Member

Percussion as required means just that. If the score asks for six players (eg Rienzi this year) then you can play six percussionists.

6. Di

Di Active Member

Well it is more years than I care to remember since I was contest secretary, and in those days we were lucky to have ONE percussionist. ;)
  7. HBB

HBB Active Member

That's only because you're OLD!
  8. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

Watch who you're calling "old". Boy.
  9. HBB

HBB Active Member

Oh Gawd! I'm gonna get taken to Court!!
  10. Di

Di Active Member

Could do, if you keep straying from the topic. ;)
  11. ronnie_the_lizard

ronnie_the_lizard Active Member

According to 4-BR's 153 useless facts about the open ..(here).. (and 4-BR couldn't possibly get anything wrong......could they.....)

"Rule 5 states that the contest is open to bands composed of standard brass band instrumentation - 25 players and 4 percussionists - all four will be used this year for sure!"

....p.s.......shouldn't this really be in 'rehearsal room' ??
  12. Di

Di Active Member

Yes. ;)
  13. drummerboy

drummerboy Member

It's my understanding (as a percussionist) that, as has been stated, the rule is 25 brass plus 'percussion as required'. So basically as long as you can justify the number of players, then you'll be ok.