How many people on here hardly ever listen to, or even never listen to....

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by scotchgirl, Nov 14, 2008.

1. scotchgirl

scotchgirl Active Member

brass band music?

I don't actually own any brass band cds except for copies of our own ones.....and I don't listen to those ones except for one listen when I receive them lol!
    Occasionally, if I have a particulary tricky section in a piece that I can't get my head around, I'll ask someone for a copy of it on mp3 so I can have a listen to how it goes.....and very very occasionally I'll listen to one of my hubby's brass cds or his percussion soloist ones....

I have no interest in listening to bands really - I don't mind hearing a few at a contest if the piece is one I really like - I just like playing in the band....

So - am I on my own? lol!

2. steve butler

steve butler Active Member

No your'e not on your own, I am a fully paid up member of that club.
    I very rarely listen to bands though like you I enjoy playing with them.
    I suppose being a tuba player there are'nt too many other options, and at least with bands there is quite a wide variety of repertoire (if you're in the right band :wink:)
  3. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

I'm exactly the same.
    I wouldn't dream of buying a ticket to a brass band concert.
    As you say, I would listen to a CD to sort out tricky bits in test pieces, and perhaps, (Very rarely) listen to the odd band or two at a contest if we had a late draw and had time to kill. (Normally in the company of Mr Butler).

- Wilkie
  4. hicks

hicks Member

I have loads of brass band CDs, mostly Dyke. I only ever listen to the top bands. I'd think people who don't listen to brass band music would be in a minority here.
  5. steve butler

6. David Mann

David Mann Member

I listen to all kinds of bands playing all kinds of repertoire and can always find something to enjoy. I even listen to LTTB.
  7. FlugelD

FlugelD Member

I'll occasionally have a brass listening splurge - nothing but brass bands for a couple of days - but not often.
  8. davidquinlan

davidquinlan Member

I would say about 5% of my CD's are brass band.. if even that many.
    I tend to purchase CD's by composer, e.g. have the heaton , gregson, ball, wilby CD's...
  9. Hells Bones

Hells Bones Active Member

Which in one case almost ended up with an elbow in the face courtesy of one Hell's Bones!...

Sorry about that mate! ;)

Unfortunately my banding collection is very thin and that is something I'd very much like to change. But I suppose food and rent come first *sigh*

Ho Hum
  10. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

I remember it well Anthony, and you also had the audacity to beat us into 2nd place !!
    But overall a good day all around wasn't it ?
    Hope you are well.
    - Wilkie
  11. Hells Bones

Hells Bones Active Member

A very good day, except that I had very little use of my right hand...
  12. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

I have a fair collection of brass band vinyl records and a small collection (slowly growing) of CDs and mp3s. Unless I'm researching a contest piece, though, I rarely feel the urge to sit and listen to bands on CD. I much prefer orchestral music or the real thing.
  13. steve butler

They were a top group Mike ;)
  14. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

I have 1100 tracks on my iPod, 550 at least brass bands, love it, how can you know what a good band sounds like if you do'nt listen to some of the best in the business . . .
  15. steve butler

Oh we know what they sound like Garry :wink:
    We just don't choose to listen to them as much as you do :D
  16. Ruthless

Ruthless Member

I have a few band CDs but can not remember the last time I listened to one, but then I rarely listen to music full stop. I am a Radio 2 listener (I rest my case) in the car and when Jeremy Vine is on I listen to a best of Bananarama CD which came free with a newspaper which has been in my CD player for 4 months now. I never listen to music in the house.

My hubbie, though, does not play an instrument and can not sing at all but listens regularly to music when I'm at band and has a very varied musical taste.
  17. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

How can you beat a brass band at full volume as tear down the motorway? Brilliant . . .
  18. brassbandmaestro

brassbandmaestro Active Member

I listen to brass band music quite a lot. I have quite a few cds of bb music in my collection, amongst other genres. Its all got to do with what you like or not in any music. In my collection have Led Zeppelin, Eric Clapton etc to classical, jazz, brass bands, R & B, dance as well. Variety is the name of the game here.
  19. steve butler

Yeh especially if they've got red and black jackets on and are in the outside lane :biggrin:

Only joking :eek:
  20. scotchgirl

scotchgirl Active Member

1) Not all recordings are from the 'best in the business' - one of the reasons I DON'T listen to brass band cds lol!

2) If I want to know what a good band sounds like - I go to a rehearsal and sit there twice or more a week, rehearsing music that we love to play - doesn't matter what anyone else thinks....