How many people have decided to...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by 2nd man down, Nov 25, 2008.

1. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

vote for a different political party from the one they voted for at the last general election when the next general election comes around?

I haven't. Never voted for this shower, and having seen my prediction of umpeen years ago just about come true I don't think I ever will. In my view they've taken a perfectly healthy economy and bled it dry.

Thoughts anyone?
  2. dyl

dyl Active Member

Not me. I'll be sticking to Plaid Cymru.
  3. Daisy Duck

Daisy Duck Member

Last time there was a general election, there were loads of quizzes on the internet where you could answer various questions about your views on different policies and then it would tell you what party you should vote for. I'm relieved it always told me to vote for the party I liked in the back of my mind anyway. I will do that next time there's a general election.

Not impressed with the lot we've got at the moment, but also not sure the other lot would do any good either.
  4. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

I havent switched my vote. Didn't vote last time and I don't see anybody worth voting for this time either. A pox on all their houses I say.
  5. Hells Bones

Hells Bones Active Member

Monster Raving Loony party...

Highlight here>>>Joke<<<Highlight Here
  6. leisa

leisa Active Member

there should be one, you would be president anthony, DMBabe a close 2nd
  7. FlugelD

FlugelD Member

"We were bought and sold by a parcel o' rogues'

....and I've always voted to restore the early 18th century status quo :)

(PS No offence to my numerous relatives south of the border - I just think that my homeland deserves self-determination... :tup)
  8. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

I didn't know Francis Rossi was that old. :eek:

Can we have a refund of the Darien money when you close the border? ;)

I'm despairing of UK politics at the moment; at the last local council election we had the choice between the incumbent Labour councillors and the BNP :mad: - nobody else even bothered standing. At the last general election no-one (apart from the ubiquitous BNP) even bothered sending leaflets, and I had a right old job finding out who the candidates were. Out of desperation I voted for the Lib Dems, partly because my dad's a member, but I have concerns about the competence of the Westminster MPs, frankly.

I reckon the best hope of actual democracy would be a hung parliament, requiring the biggest party to actually have to build a consensus in order to form an administration, but even then the proverbial "smoke-filled room" would play a key role, I suspect.
  9. ploughboy

ploughboy Active Member

There is.

You need to get of the band room more - geek.
  10. Red Elvis

Red Elvis Active Member

Was never a fan of Blair and the New Labour project , but now it looks like we are getting back to a proper Labour party they will have my vote.
    Still too many memories of my first years in the NHS under a Tory government - for all their (labour's) many many faults its been much better since 97.Can't countenance a return to those days , especially under Cameron / Osbourne and their public school chums.
    Tax them till they bleed Gordon , and then some ! If he's got any sense he'll go to the Palace ASAP and get the election called sooner rather than later.
  11. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

When Labour last came to power in 1997 it was the first time I had worked under a Labour Government.

I was told that as I was not a mega rich, over inflated salary type person, I would be better off.

11 years later:

My mortgage has just gone up £280 pcm
    My petrol bill is the highest its ever been
    My utility bills are ever increasing
    etc etc

Yep I'm much better off!

Just another thought Mr Essex Elvis, the NHS may be better off for you as an employee, however why do I still have to wait months for an appointment at my local hospital? But guess thats due to the mis-management that went on prior to 1997? :wink:
  12. scotchgirl

scotchgirl Active Member

I will have to have a long hard think about who I vote for the next time. In fact, I may even decide to move should I not see a change in a key issue for me - education.

I have many issues with the English education system (I am Scottish, but live in S. Staffs, where my son goes to school, soon to be followed by my daughter). I don't agree with the National Curriculum, I don't agree with SATS, I don't agree with teaching 3 year olds in a school environment, I don't agree with having teachers in the nursery class, I don't agree with the slow erradication of non-'core' subjects such as art, music, religion, geography, history.

My husband and I have already considered moving house completely to put our children in an education system that isn't hog-tied with form-filling, target achieving and teacher testing.
  13. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

well how i look at it;If you vote at least you have got a right to have a moan
  14. Red Elvis

Red Elvis Active Member

Fair point Chunky - as I said Labour are far from perfect . There are still waits for initial appointments , but they were far longer under the Tories.
    And you are not wrong about Bills / Petrol etc. I don't even drive and my bills are all in on the rent , but in real terms I reckon I am worse off by about £200 a month compared to 18 months / two years ago.
    However for me this is a function of global capitalism and the vagaries of a so-called Free Market that is apparently allowed to regulate itself in some semi-mystical fashion without governmental interference ( and again , New Labour are no better than the Tories in this respect ).
    At the end of the day , under the Parliamentary system one can only reform a corrupt capitalism , not restructure it completely for the benefit of the working class but thats probably a whole other subject !:)

Whistles the "Internationale" and goes off to wave the Red Flag !
  15. Chunky

Chunky Active Member

So basically Phil, we all vote for the ideals and values of the party that matches closely to our own, even though they are rarely achieved or even achievable, and suffer whatever the outcome!
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2008
  16. hicks

hicks Member

I disagree. It's my democratic right not to vote. If I think none of the parties are worth voting for, that's not my problem. In fact, what party does live up to their promises? The pre-election rhetoric sounds good, but once they get power they're in for a few years and are not held accountable for their broken pledges.
    I have no reason to believe any other party would have a clue how to handle the current ecnomic crisis any better.
  17. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

im glad you are not running the country then;)
  18. leisa

leisa Active Member

Says you.....

I agree with you, I have never voted for the same reason

I am sure the feelings mutual ';)'
  19. Daisy Duck

Daisy Duck Member

My values and political ideas most closely match those of the Liberal Democrats... and I still vote for them even though there's no real hope of them getting in.
  20. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

But surely your democratic right not to vote would be better served being a vote at very least for a party that has no chance of winning anything and being a visible protest rather than keeping quiet at the time and complaining later about the party voted in by those that could be bothered and you did nothing to stop?
    If everybody thought the same way as you we'd probably have the likes of Timmy Mallett running the place...Oh, hang on, I think we have.