How many of you are engineers?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Jan H, Sep 13, 2004.

?

I am...

1. an engineer or engineering student

16 vote(s)
    53.3%
  2. not an engineer

14 vote(s)
    46.7%
  1. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

Recently we had some discussions going on about binary numbers and even about "hysteresis". I know that probably half the tMP'ers were bored to death by these subjects, but it made me wonder: How many of you are engineers or engineering students? And what's your specialization?

About myself, I am a mechanical engineer, specialized in Noise & Vibration. I know that in my band, there are at least two other engineers, our principal cornet and our 1st tenor horn player.

2. BbBill

BbBill Supporting Member

served my time as agricultural engineer in local tractor garage for 5yrs, but have left that now and working down on the farm with my father, still repairing own machinary when he breaks it, tho its good way to keep it cheap! :D

3. WhatSharp?

WhatSharp? Active Member

Not sure if you'd count Software Engineer as engineering, though my early background was an engineering apprenticeship (Mechancial, Electrical and Electronics). Ironically enough I worked for a number of years at a company writing noise and vibration test software for servohydraulic test equipment. Small World!

4. Colin K

Colin K Member

I work as a Control system desisign engineer for the Glass industry.

5. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

I don't think it is very strange for (brass) musicians to be specialized in noise and vibration ;)

And at my university, computer science was one of the departments of the Engineering faculty (the other departments were mechanical, electronical, chemical, agricultural, construction, mining and architecture)

6. WhatSharp?

WhatSharp? Active Member

No throwing stones then :D (bad pun I know, but it's monday!)

7. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

I'm an electrical engineer working in a sales office quoting PLC and SCADA systems for the Control panels that we manufacture.

8. manx_yessir

manx_yessir Member

I'm an Amusement Machine Engineer......I do exactly what it say's on the tin. :lol:

9. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

what? insert money and push knob to play?? ;)

10. HBB

HBB Active Member

Cue WoodenFlugal...

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    tMP'ers
    death
    principal cornet
    Noise
    binary numbers
  12. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

I'm a calibration engineer, responsble for calibrating torque wrenches, crimp tools, and pressure gauges for the railway industry, forces, rolls royce etc.

13. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

I notice that you haven't mentioned helicopters! I presume you sorted out the "hysteresis" problems?

;)

14. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

oops oh yer, we also calibrate gauges for bristow helicopters somthing to do with the rotor blades so i hope i did em right!

15. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

I've voted no...

...however I did do a Sound Engineering course at college
    ;-)

16. stephen2001

stephen2001 Member

I graduated last Summer with a degree in Automotive engineering, but at the moment, am doing some temp data entry work with a company who is a customer of the company, BOC :D

17. Cornishwomble

Cornishwomble Active Member

I was a marine engineer but now I'm on dry land and work in Facilities management and electrical and mechanical engineering in supermarkets

:hammer :metal:

18. BigHorn

BigHorn Active Member

I graduated in Production Engineering but have been in software most of my career.
    When I started studying engineering our college principle told us the difference between a Mechanic and an Engineer.
    An Engineer washes his hands after he's been to the toilet. A Mechanic washes his hands before ;)

19. lynchie

lynchie Active Member

I've spent the last year working as a trainee production engineer for a firm making gas meters, mainly in quality (does anyone smell gas??) and I'm off to uni now to study Mechanical Engineering for the next 4 years of my precious short life... unless the whole rock star thing happens and then I'll drop out faster than you can say "Multivariable Calculus"

ahhh... late night boccing... it can't be beat...

20. flugelgal

flugelgal Active Member

He's on his holidays Bunny!

I voted "no" - although I've had a few attempts at "Social Engineering" in my time... :hammer

21. kate_the_horn

kate_the_horn New Member

our rep is an engineer.

summat to do with paint.

i know, i dont have a clue!

kel;l x

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    tMP'ers
    death
    principal cornet
    Noise