How many instruments.....

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Craigsav83, Jan 9, 2005.

1. Craigsav83

Craigsav83 Active Member

I was just curious on how many brass instruments that the average brass band owns?

I was wondering how the effect of recent funding (thru lottery or otherwise) has on the number as many bands have now recently bought full new sets of instruments, and what has happened to the old instruments?

Are they being used in a trainer band? Used as spares? Rusting away happily in a cupboard? Sold?

Sorry if this has been asked before, I was just thinking of the spare instruments sitting doing very little at the moment in our band hall, and what other uses bands have found for them.

Cheers

2. yonhee

yonhee Active Member

No idea :D Very helpfull i know.

3. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Due to our lottery grant a few years ago we have roughly 2 full sets of instruments...I say roughly as a few of the old set have been sold to fund things like buying more percussion.

As to what those instruments are doing now...well most are rusting happily in the cupboard, as we don't have a junior band (as yet). I think a couple are out with some real beginners..and I'm playing on the "old" (its not so old actually) flugel, as I prefer it now.

4. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

Not currently playing with a band I can't really comment, but I will add in that I own about 25 myself!
    Speaking from Surrey Brass (not a brass band, but all brass players), the ensemble actually owns no instruments (we all use our own), but if we were too pool everything that each of us own, we are probably looking at over 100 instruments (quite possibly over 100 trumpets of varying shapes and sizes!).
    Somehow I get the feeling that this will not be the case in the majority of brass bands

5. michellegarbutt

michellegarbutt Supporting Member

We have 1 full set of instruments which was bought with our lottery grant. Out of the old set 15 of them are in use in our junior section. 2 are awaiting repair . 2 are out on loan to another band and the few remaining larger instruments are in the cupboard. We are always short of cornets and horns for our junior section and currently have a waiting list of kids wanting to join. If any band does have spare instruments lying rusting in the cupboard that they don't want we'd be very grateful for them.

6. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

We have a full (if now rather old in places) set of instruments plus loads which are used by our junior bands (yes plural we have 2)

One problem we do have is what to do with instrumenst which are not being used, for example:-

Both our euphonium players have their own instruments so the band have 2 spare Soveriegn Euphs. These are then given to youngstres to play in the junior badn, if one of our euphs leaves and a replacement is found who does not have their own instrument who wants the job of explaining to the youngster (and their parents) that they must give back the nice instrument they have and get an old one in its place?

Should the set of instruments be kept solely for the use if members of the band and not be loaned to kids?

7. Craigsav83

Craigsav83 Active Member

Thats also the kind of thing I was looking for. On making enquiries about forming a new band in Edinburgh, I am struggling for the 'big' instruments. Many students have their own cornets/trombones even horns, but for obvious reasons can't afford to purchase their own tubas or euphoniums. It seems such a waste having a cupboard full of instruments. I am hoping to negotiate the release of our spare instruments for use in the new band.