how many engagements did you have in 2005

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by 1alexm, Jan 1, 2006.

1. 1alexm

1alexm Member

personally i think my band does more gigs than most bands, last year i did over 55 engagements (in junior band and senior band)
    how many engagments did you have last year?
  2. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

I played about 40 brass band engagements last year, but that because I was a band slag and played with over 15 different bands.
  3. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

I reckon we did about 25 gigs at Kippax - 12 being our monthly concerts in Kippax Band Club on the 2nd Sunday of each month.
    A completely new programme every month.
    8pm Start - all welcome to a "Banders" night out.
    See for directions.
    - Wilky

IYOUNG Member

Slightly different approach here at Marlow band we carried out 22 performances this year, of these though 19 were full blown concerts.

We have taken the approach that by limiting the numbers and only doing full concerts we get a pretty much 100% turn out every time.

Our view if you over ask the playing members you won't win against other commitments.

the balance seems to work just at the moment.

5. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

you can see what we did at Flixton using this link:

6 contests (plus whit friday)

3 concerts we promoted ourselves at local venues (summer family concert, rememberance and xmas)

4 summer concerts

a CD recording and a BBC radio recording during the summer

plus a few charitable events and rememberance etc and lots of small ensemble jobs over xmas and carolling.

overall we were out 35 times over the year but a high number of these were over the christmas period. We do have busy times though, notably the autumn contest season where we did fleetwood, pontins and st helens within about 7 weeks. Saying this I think it is quality on quantity of engagments that is important and don't think we could take on much more!
  6. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

12 we did troughout the year in local venues
  7. Hornted

Hornted Member

We did 23 concerts with the senior band, promoted a further 9 concerts by other bands, ran a contest, took the Youth Band to France, took part in CD and a DVD recording and three contests - not a busy year then!

It would be great to have sponsorship and not have to do so many but at least it keeps the band together and in practice.

Highlight for me would be taking part in a Summer Proms Orchestral gig, with a brass band to an audience of around 5000 at Chatsworth House. Loads of other good venues thoughout the year.

Newstead Brass
  8. postie

postie Member

I think the band was out 33 times in 2005 this included the 6 contests the band participated in. It looks as though 2006 will follow a similar pattern.
  9. yonhee

yonhee Active Member

not enough! Or maybe too many...
  10. Cantonian

Cantonian Active Member

If you include participation in meetings (services) on Sunday, open air concerts/services, concerts and carolling engagements our band at Canton had approximately 135 'engagements'.
  11. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

Killamarsh Silver Band did the following in 2005

Concerts - 13 (inc 7 Christmas)
    Outdoor bookings - 10
    Tour - Lake District - 2
    Tour - Czech Republic - 3
    Carols (pubs and services) - 5 (only one outdoor job)
    Rememberance Day - 1

A total of 34 performances - which is about our normal number of jobs.
  12. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

Quite a quiet year for us, with 5 concerts, 3 proms nights and 1 united carol service, plus the three Wind Ensemble dates, a shared recital with Charley and the tMP Hadleigh concert. As Cantonian points out, though, as an SA band we are on duty or most Sunday night services, and for our monthly Praise Nights that may well involve 4 or 5 items.
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2006
  13. stephen2001

stephen2001 Member

Somewhere between 45 and 50 for Whitwell Band, including contests, small concerts, full blown concerts and carolling.