How many different instruments have you played?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by stevetrom, May 14, 2008.

Which instrument have I played

1. Eb Soprano Cornet

2. Bb Cornet

3. Flugel Horn

4. Tenor Horn

5. Euphonium

6. Baritone

7. Tenor Trombone

8. Bass Trombone

9. EEb Bass

10. BBb Bass

11. Percussion

Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

At Whit friday I will be making my debut on BBb bass, that brings the different instruments I have played (for a concert or contest) to:-

Bb Cornet, Tenor Horn, Baritone, Euphonium, Tenor Trombone, Bass Trombone, EEb Bass, BBb Bass and percussion - leaving only Soprano Cornet and Flugel Horn missing from a full set.

Can anyone beat that ?
  2. FlugelD

FlugelD Member

Only the 6 - sop, cornet, flugel, tenor horn, bari, Eb bass.

Been on flugel (this time!) for going on 12 years now, the longest I've been without a change - and I'm not planning on moving any time soon!
  3. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

You missed out the other families of instruments, Steve! And all the brass instruments that don't get played in a brass band.

I don't ever recall playing flugel in public before, but I think I've covered every other category with varying degrees of proficiency. At a sponsored play-in many years ago, I did cover every part in the band during the course of the night, but it wasn't a public performance...
  4. sooze booze

sooze booze Member

I've played Bb cornet, flugel, Eb horn, euph, tenor trom, baritone and percussion. I also play flute, Bb clarinet, alto, tenor and baritone sax and bassoon regularly in local pit orchestras. I also play the piano and accompany pupils for their grade exams. You could say that I am very happy when playing and performing music!! It's my life! :)
  5. JesTperfect!

JesTperfect! Member

Just the one.........I feel vaguely pathetic!!
  6. Mephi

Mephi Member

Cornet,sop,flugel (all in one recital) but after that I'm stuck. if given a week could probably master horn, but wouldn't exactly be a Rushworth! Anything lower and I'd struggle. Plus my piano playing is dreadful, last two girlfriends have been great piano players - very scary!
  7. tubadaz

tubadaz Member

I've played everything but soprano cornet in a brass band over the years! :D
    I've also played trumpet, mellophone, marching baritone (forward facing), contrabass bugle (forward facing) and sousaphone in marching bands!! :D
    I also played a french horn once, but the least said about that the better!! :oops:
  8. winterman

winterman Member

I know that feeling! Being a Salvation Army Officers kid and travelling around the country a fair bit in my younger years I always ended playing whatever the corps bands needed at the time.

Went through one point of playing Front Row Cornet, Tenor Horn and Euph/Bass in the same day every Sunday for a while (that hurt a bit). Did try Soprano once but could barely get a note out of the flipping thing!

Still dabble a little bit these days having started taking up the Trombone again (using the same mouthpiece as my Euph is great) with the junior band, when the conductor doesn't ask me to try and fumble my way round a Glock or Xylophone (how that started I will never know!!).
  9. Mr Guinness

Mr Guinness Member

I'm guilty of the violin, piano, trombone and percussion. One from almost every food group!!!!

Thankfully I gave the violin up at 11 (grade 6 mind you), when I realised that brass players are (generally) more fun. :tongue:
  10. the fish

the fish Member

Only BBb bass really for me and not very well at that....

Have dabbled with Eb Bass for orchestrial and wind band stuff if asked to help out as I can't read bass cleff.
  11. MissRepiano

MissRepiano New Member

Only Bb Cornet for me, although I do play piano too.
  12. WhatSharp?

WhatSharp? Active Member

In order :
    Bb Cornet, Trumpet,
    Sop ( 22 years or so ) Eb Bass 8 Months, Bb Bass ( Folkestone contest and never again ), Bb Cornet ( as of begining of this year ), Piccolo Trumpet....

With a one off perfomance oh Tenor Horn at the Whits a few years back.
  13. CubbRep

CubbRep Member

At the whits I will be playing snare drum on the march and cornet in the contest.
  14. sooze booze

sooze booze Member

I too gave up the violin after grade 3 when I was 10. With the exception of a few string players I know, the rest of them really just don't get it. Brass players really do have more fun! It's such a social hobby!!
    Last edited: May 14, 2008
  15. sooze booze

sooze booze Member

I'd forgotten that I played a German baritone horn in a concert with a German Youth band that my band were twinned with, it had rotary valves and a curved bell. It was very nice to play and quite comfy to hold too.
  16. Gig

Gig Member

I've played all in the list apart from the Bass Trombone. All on a contest stage at some time or other.
  17. bbg

bbg Member

Horn for years, until I joined Perthshire where after one rehearsal on baritone, I moved onto back-row cornet. However with a number of very promising cornet players coming through our excellent youth band, I have been "invited" to bring a bass (BBb at present, possibly Eb in due course?) home to get accustomed to.........and for the Northern Counties contest next weekend, I'm making my "debut" as a percussionist (timps for one piece, cymbals/tambourine/triangle/sit down and be quiet for others in the programme!)
  18. andyp

andyp Active Member

In contests only Bb and sop, in concerts those plus trumpet, flugel, euph and Eb bass (definitely the most fun....except you have to remember to breathe a LOT more often!)
  19. Hells Bones

Hells Bones Active Member

I tend to stick to Trombone (Be it Alto, Tenor or at a push, Bass) but I have played Euph and Bariphone before.

Also had a parp on a tenor horn. The horn player claimed it wouldn't play a not so I got hold of it and lo and behold....

It wouldn't play a note.

Silly girl had put the valves in the wrong way.

And I'm not even a valver!
  20. brassbandmaestro

brassbandmaestro Active Member

Ive played Bb Cornet,Euph, Bari, Flugel, Eb Bass and Bb Bass.