How Many Contests Does Your Band do in a Year ?

Discussion in 'The Adjudicators' Comments' started by iancwilx, Jan 2, 2005.

How Many Contests Does Your Band Do in a Year ?

1. Area Only

2 vote(s)
  2. Area + 2-4

36 vote(s)
  3. Area + 5-6

20 vote(s)
  1. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

Just curious to know what percentage of Bands only do the Areas and no other Contest.
    We do the Areas, used to do CISWO at Blackpool, plus Malton or/and Buxton with the occasional trot around Whit Friday.
  2. Craigsav83

Craigsav83 Active Member

We played at 4 contests this (err last) year. Areas, Carnagie, Nationals and Fife Charities. It could have been more, but there is a contest 'cluster' in October/November meaning we have to choose one from about 4. Missed Brass in the Park this year as we were preparing for the Nationals.
  3. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly Active Member

In 2004, Flixton did the North West Area, then Buxton (the own-choice, not the Entertainment Contest), Rhyl Festival of Brass (which was / is an Entertainment Contest), Fleetwood, Pontins, and the Wilkinsons' Open (St Helens).
  4. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

Well last year we did the area, and Whychavon but should have done Leicester but a certain person could not be botherd to turn up for the last practise when they said they were coming.:-(

This year we have got 2 lined up Mineworkers &Area but we will be looking at some more as well.:-D
  5. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

It varies from year to year - last year we only did the Area and Leicester, although we were going to do Leamington too at one point.

Now we're back in the 2nd section :-( we've got Butlins and the Area lined up plus we'll almost certainly be doing Leicester (we ought to as it is held less than a mile from our Bandroom), and Leamington, with perhaps Wychavon and maybe one other as well.
  6. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

Areas +3

For the 2004-5 Season WGC has played at:
    SCABA Autum Contest - Folkestone

and plans to play at:
  7. lottie4744

lottie4744 Member

2004 Flixton did 6 contests, and I think we have either the same amount or more planned for 2005!
  8. HBB

HBB Active Member

Last year we did:

This year we're probably going to do:
    Folkestone :)
  9. BbBill

BbBill Supporting Member

Campbeltown did 6 in 2004,

Area, Carnagie, Brass in the Park, Troon, The Borders and the Scottish Youth, really pleased good results mostly in all!!

Aside from contests we did our usual England trip to Corby/Kettering that we do every year. With over-night stays at every contest we do, due to distance, we're quite a well travelled band!!

Probably doing the same again this year, tho no England tour trip this year as usual, doing a mini NYBBS type weekend up in Glasgow for the Area, should be good!! :D
  10. Craigsav83

Craigsav83 Active Member

Thats impressive, that must involve a lot of travelling for you?
  11. Aidan

Aidan Active Member

we did areas, europeans, masters, open, nationals.
  12. BbBill

BbBill Supporting Member

We cover alot of miles every year for contests, its 136 miles to Glasgow before we can get anywhere!!! :rolleyes:

Funny thing is, we can nearly see Troon 20 odd miles across the water but we've to go all the way up to Glasgow and back down the other side, usually takes about 5hrs!!! It takes 5 or 6 hours for the contests over on "ur side" of the country!! We stay the night before in Glasgow or Bathgate, then its just a short distance in the morning, not getting home till about midnight after contest! We've had the same bus driver for the last 17 or so years, which is pretty cool and he's our mascot!! :D

This is where we are in the world if anybodys interested and Dave Payn stays on the Island next to us!!!

Sorry for going off topic!! :rolleyes:
  13. michellegarbutt

michellegarbutt Supporting Member

areas + Durham League, Butlins, Northumberland entertainment, Ripon, and 2 possible new contests in our area, an entertainment to be held at DLI museum and a revival of what used to be the ciswo heats to be held at vane tempest. We also have been known to enter Newton Grange and Easingwold. Our hope is also in the next couple of years that we can resurrect the Brian Harding memorial contest which used to be held in Murton Welfare
  14. hellraiser

hellraiser Member

I find this to be an interesting thread for many reasons.

I happen to think that it's essential for bands to compete in order to maintain & hopefully improve standard of play and competing also serves as a measure of the bands' standard of play compared to other bands. However there must be cases of bands competing too much and that can't be a good thing either.

Also these days contesting is expensive for bands, with prize money not being enough to cover basic costs in many cases. In commercial terms attending many contests is often a stupid decision!

I find it sad when bands pull out of contests though, whatever the reasons.
  15. since march last year wen i joined aber, weve done
    ebbw vale, ammanford, treorchy

not sure wots happenin this year..probs do all these agen wiv mayb sum more aswell!!
  16. Liz Courts

Liz Courts Active Member

Since I joined St Agnes in 1994/5, we have never entered the areas. We used to do quite a lot of local contesting though (Truro, Bugle, Penzance, Torquay). In 2001/2 and 3 we had a break from contesting and last year we just entered Truro. This year we're probably-definitely doing Truro and hopefully Bugle and/or Torquay. We're thinking about entering Exmouth entertainment contest and going to Pontins too! :D
  17. Brassb3ll3nd

Brassb3ll3nd Member

Last we only did the Areas and Ashington entertainment, came last in one and 1st in t'other. Normally we do about 4 or 5 i.e. Durham league, Nationals, Pontins and Easingwold (just for the beer!!).

When I played with a top section band we always did at least 6 and usually more, it seemed like the work rate and commitment were much higher then, but we're getting there.
  18. trombone-john

trombone-john Member

We'll be doing the Mineworkers, Areas & Buxton for the first half of this year, and then a couple in the autumn.
    Hopefully the Finals again, but I think we'd need a miracle!!
  19. ScrapingtheBottom

ScrapingtheBottom Active Member

We'll have done Butlins, NEMBBA and the Areas by the end of March, so my guess is more than that.
  20. rutty

rutty Active Member

Last year we did:

Area (Burton)
    High Peak Contest (Buxton)
    Whit Friday
    Kirkby March Contest
    Dukeries Entertainent
    Buxton Entertainment
    Wilkinson Contest

We were going to do leamington but had too many players missing. We like to contest and will be off to Butlins later this month :)