How Many Brass cds do you buy?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Ryan06, Apr 7, 2006.

1. Ryan06

Ryan06 Member

The topic starter says it all...How many Brass cds do you buy a month/year?
    I usually buy atleast 1 or 2 brass cds on every paycheque I get from work...I generally buy 30-35 brass cds a year,then get an extra 5-10 for birthday/christmas presents.
    Haha,My mom thinks I waste my money by buying all these brass cds...shes not a big band geek though as I am. Id like to know how many brass cds you guys buy.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Haha
    Brass cds
    year
    shes
    birthday
  3. el maestro

el maestro Member

Probably about 2 a year lol

4. rutty

rutty Active Member

I've bought 3. Ever! I do plan on getting more though ;)

5. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

As regular tMPers will know, I have a fairly comrehensive collection of recording, many featuring brass and wind ensembles of various shapes and sizes. Many of these have been picked up from various secondhand shops - one advantage of working in Central London! - and also on ebay.

I should imagine I tend to purchase a couple of recordings a month, although that can be more depending on availability. I also receive the occasional review copy, so I tend to hang fire on new releases until I find out who's doing the review ;)

6. Red Elvis

Red Elvis Active Member

Between leaving the SA and restarting playing (about 5 years) I would get about 10 brass CD's a year , mostly on SA releases . Since joining Becontree I have been playing catch up fast with the "outside" world and must be averaging about 30+ a year now , mostly acquired in big splurges from the good chaps on the World of Brass stands at various contests , xmas and birthday pressies and occasionally mail order too.

7. Liz Courts

Liz Courts Active Member

Enough...! Up until a couple of years ago I had only bought one, and had a few given to me from my grandpa! Then I went through a bit of a phase buying CDs from local bands. Now I generally look to see what the tracks are and am getting into listening to a much wider range of (brass band) music!

I haven't needed to buy any CDs for a while now though, as my mum recently took up the drums and likes to play along with CDs a lot! So I just take her's when she's not looking!! :biggrin:

We've probably got about 35-40 CDs between us now - that's not too extreme. :)

8. Ryan06

Ryan06 Member

I'll be ordering 2 more brass band cds on my next paycheque next week...any recommendations?

9. Cornishwomble

Cornishwomble Active Member

I don't but a lot to be honest. I like playing brass bands but I don't listen to a lot of music and after paying £7.99 for an album for ipod these days I don't pay the prices.

If a lot more brass band CDs were available for MP3 players then I would buy more

10. persins

persins Member

I don't buy them very often at all either. There are places that you can download them in Ipod compatable formats but I don't really know where to get them.

11. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

If you like something to get your teeth into, as it were, I'd definitely recommend Black Dyke's "A Golden Year" - 5 major works and first class playing. Another worth considering is Eikanger's "20 Supreme years" - fine arrangements by Howard Snell and a good mix of repertoire, even if the anallytical recording isn't exactly how you'd hear it in the concert hall!

12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Haha
    Brass cds
    year
    shes
    birthday
  13. HBB

HBB Active Member

I dream to think how many Alex Seedhouse has got!

14. Ryan06

Ryan06 Member

Thanks! Ive wrote that down and will be sure to check them out.

15. ian perks

ian perks Active Member

I have got about 200 Brass Band CDS at least 45% Black Dyke Mills and 35% of them by DOYEN Recordings.
    I normally buy about 5/6 per year .

16. Key2207

Key2207 Member

I have never actually bought a brass CD :eek: I've got random ones that ppl have given me... I'll prob buy one for when I'm travelling to Oz next month. Well, anything is better than talking to my mother for 24 hrs!! lol!! :D

17. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

It depends what music is being covered and by what artist. I mainly prefer original music whether it be solo, ensemble, band or whatever. What puts me off is repeat recordings of works ... too much of that going on!

18. euphfanhan

euphfanhan Member

I have around 70 or 80 at the moment. Every time I go to a concert or contest I buy two or three. So far they have all been Black Dyke, local bands or CDs recorded at contests.

19. andyh

andyh Supporting Member

I make a point of buying one whenever I go to a concert by another band. People buy memorabilia at our concerts so I feel
    it's only fair to support other bands!

In fact I'm going to see Fairey's in Ipswich tomorrow - if they don't have a CD table I'll be very disappointed ! :)

Andy

20. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

A bit late I realise, but the BB of Columbus has a new March CD out...for those from North America, it'd probably be easier to order off of our website http://www.brassbandofcolumbus.org/recordings.shtml for those in the UK, check out the Treveda website or 4BR.

21. dyl

dyl Active Member

Yeah I must say I was a bit surprised to see you 'reviewing' your own band's CD on 4BR Pat........... :rolleyes:

22. Bryan_sop

Bryan_sop Active Member

I think I've got 2 bb CDs and a few Vinyl that I won in a raffle......