How many brass bands are there in the UK?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Trigger, Mar 11, 2006.

1. Trigger

Trigger Member

Hi everyone,

Does anyone know how many brass bands there are in the UK? I know that there are over 500 bands registered at the BBBR, but does anyone know the number including unregistered bands? :)

2. Steve

Steve Active Member

interestingly, the number of registered players has remained constant at 17000 (i believe) for 10 years while the number of registered bands has dwindled to 510ish.

Unless they are registered I dont think there is any way of knowing how many there are.

3. Trigger

Trigger Member

Hi Steve - Thanks for your reply :)

4. James Yelland

James Yelland Active Member

The answer to your question is 'no'. Not even the British Federation of Brass Bands knows.

5. Steve

Steve Active Member

Have you asked them Jim, or the registry?

6. Trigger

Trigger Member

Thanks for your suggestions - I thought it would be a long shot, because as Steve said, to know the answer they would all have to be registered somewhere.

I will contact the registry, but I imagine the answer will be that they only know how many are registered - Worth a try though. Thanks

7. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

There have some discussions about this on tMP before, but I think the final answer always was "Nobody knows".

8. Trigger

Trigger Member

I see - I didn't realise this had been discussed on here before. Apologies mods. Ah well - it was worth a try and thanks to everyone for replying :)

Last edited: Mar 13, 2006
  9. Steve

Steve Active Member

Natasha, I would definitely recommend ringing the registry though. Despite previous threads I dont think anyone ever actually bothered to find an answer.

10. Trigger

Trigger Member

Ok - I'll give them a bell. Thanks. :)

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    UK
    BBBR
    brass bands
    unregistered bands
    number
  12. James Yelland

No, but I have seen what they have had to say. In its Strategic Business Strategy of 2003, paragraph 7, the Federation sought to "...discover how many brass bands and players there are in the country..", which implies that in 2003 they didn't know the answer. I for one haven't seen any subsequent announcement that they have discovered the answer. And while the Registry may know the number of contesting bands in the country, they don't have details of non-contesting bands. That number may or may not be significant - I myself know of two bands whose existence will not be known to the Registry, and I dare say others will too.

13. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

No problem Natasha. I think it was already quite some time ago that this was discussed.
    I just remembered it, because I asked the question myself that time ;)

14. Trigger

Trigger Member

For those who may be interested - I have just received an email back from the BBBR confirming that they cannot be sure of the exact number of unregistered bands in the UK. However, they estimatated that there are approximately two hundred unregistered bands in the UK to add to the 500 or so registered bands. This is only a guess though and is based on old information.

15. James Yelland

As I say, they don't know! And although I mentioned that the BFBB had decided to look into it in 2003, even if they had come to an answer, it would be out of date by now. Bands fold and form all the time. The only solution to the problem is to conduct an annual census - and as there is no national body capable of co-ordinating such an exercise, guessing is all we are left with.