How Many Brass Banders?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Ffion Flugel, May 13, 2008.

1. Ffion Flugel

Ffion Flugel Member

Does anyone have the vaguest idea of roughly how many players there are in brass bands in the UK?

I'm trying to write an assignment on two different discourse communities for a linguistics course, and I thought we could be an interesting bunch, but I've no idea what sort of numbers I'm talking about.

The other one's my local WI, there are 18 of us if we all turn up! Could be an interesting comparison though.

Thanks in advance.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    WI
    UK
    vaguest idea
    players
    brass bands
  3. Craigsav83

Craigsav83 Active Member

How long is a piece of string? ;)

Its an interesting thought though - there were 506 bands over the UK at the areas this year, so take 28 players multiplied by 506 (assuming every band had a full compliment of brass players and percussion) this comes to 14,168 people. I've no idea how many non-contesting bands there are about, but I'd hazard a guess that there are at least as many again?

According to recent SBBA research, there are 3395 active people in brass banding in Scotland, which is over 82 bands (54 of them contesting) which works out at about 42 players per band, though this includes training bands that work alongside the senior band. The full document is available on the SBBA website, and is an excellent and well researched resource - hats off to the SBBA on that one :tup

So that put into consideration, I'd reckon that about 30,000 would be a fair guesstimate?

4. dizzy068

dizzy068 Member

we should hire a stadium and see what sort of sound we could make as a massed band - who would you have waving the stick?!!

5. hellyfrost

hellyfrost Member

You could try getting in touch with the British Brass Band Registry. They'll probably be able to tell you how many players are actively registered with a band. As far as non active ones go...?!

6. Aussie Tuba

Aussie Tuba Member

Then you have all The Salvation Army bands in the country none of which would have players registered with any Band registry aside from the Salvation Army as they are none contesting, But would proberbly double any figures shown already