How many Bands?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Angoose, Mar 2, 2008.

1. Angoose

Angoose Member

I have been wondering, I currently play for 4 Bands. Although only 2 do contests on a regular basis. I will soon, in about a month or so, be leaving one. I was just wondering whether you thought I might be going slightly over the top and saying "yes" a little too often when people ask me?
  2. Bayerd

Bayerd Active Member

Only you can answer that 'slack pants';)
  3. toptutti

toptutti Member

I used to play for three plus a school band (there wasn't enough evenings in the week to fit any more in) but the big wide world of work soon put a stop to that
  4. JessopSmythe

JessopSmythe Active Member

I think that at one point as a teenager I was playing regularly with 6 bands. I would say that it's only OTT if it's getting in the way of other things. If it gets to the point where you're not enjoying it or it causes (more than the usual band related) friction in the family then it's time to cut back. If everyone's happy then fill yer boots, as they say.
  5. Vegasbound

Vegasbound Active Member

Do you play with any other type of music , wind band develop your musical experience?
  6. SopranoGod

SopranoGod Member

at the moment i play 4 Bands, 2 Salvation army and 2 Non Army.

Although i'm out just about every night of the week at a rehearsal it doesn't bother me, altho i do see myself cutting down to maybe just 2 bands in the near future
  7. Gorgie boy

Gorgie boy Member

Conduct two bands at present, so normally out 4 nights rehearsing bands. Had to come out of my SA Band (was a playing member) a few months ago due to these conducting commitments, so for me the limit i can manage is 2!
  8. hicks

hicks Member

I wonder if the OP has a family. Playing in 4 bands would be out of the question for me. I'm having to say 'no' more often now, to keep the peace at home, and I only play in 2 bands.
  9. vonny

vonny Member

I personally think it's crazy playing regulary in more than one band. I think playing in one band regulary and helping another band out now and again is ok. I know loads of people who do play with multiple bands and I wonder where they find the time, but eh if you want to and enjoy it - all the best!
    It is good to say 'no' occassionally :biggrin:
  10. hicks

hicks Member

Aye. I should also add that my 'other' band is a community wind band. I can't imagine trying to play in two serious contesting brass bands. That would probably lead to divorce ;)
  11. JesTperfect!

JesTperfect! Member

I guess in some ways I do play for 4 bands (check out my 'Playing Experience' , but I love every minute of it! It's only too much when you've stopped enjoying it, and you'd rather sit at home and watch 'Crossroads' than going to band. Then is the time to cut back!
  12. tpcornet12

tpcornet12 Member

Angus, I hope it's not us you're leaving!!?
  13. Ryan06

Ryan06 Member

I play in 3 bands...the SA brass band, an orchestra and a community band and now that Im conducting a band I guess that counts as 4 bands! Im loving every minute of it...I dont know what I'd do without it! :)
  14. Angoose

Angoose Member

Don't worry, it's not bolly XD It's Macclesfield Junior Youth Band. :)
  15. millie6589

millie6589 Member

i currently only play for one band but in the past have been playing for up to 4/5, not all brass though, some jazz and big bands too.
  16. David Mann

David Mann Member

Do they still have "Crossroads" in Cornwall?:eek: