How many bands represented by deps?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Redhorn, Jun 19, 2006.

1. Redhorn

Redhorn New Member

At yesterdays gig in the grounds of Hertford Castle we were pleased to welcome deps from 9 bands playing under our title of 'Becontree Brass Band'.
    On behalf of the band we'd like to say a formal 'thank you' to all the members of Welwyn CG, Tilbury, Thundersley, Alliance, Redbridge, Enfield&Potters Bar, East London, Yiewsley&West Drayton, Regent......and Becontree (!) for coming along for the blow!
    Long live the camaraderie!

Now, beat that! :D

2. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

The tMP Band at Pontins or Whits or Easingwold... any year you like... :)

3. PeterBale

PeterBale Moderator Staff Member

. . . not forgetting Hadleigh!!!

4. Di

Di Active Member

That's cheating. ;)

5. Redhorn

Redhorn New Member

Ok....smart 'alecs'! REAL (ie registered!) bands only! :)

6. starperformer

starperformer Member

two words for you
    "denham hendon"

7. Redhorn

Redhorn New Member

Nope, didnt have any of them! But then theres not many of them to go round! ;-)

8. WhatSharp?

WhatSharp? Active Member

We managed to get one on Saturday!. Must mark that one down in the Boc Band "Eye Spy" spotters book (anyone remember them!).:biggrin: (in fact we had another one the week before too!).

Btw many thanks to Lisa and Adrian from Denham.

9. Redhorn

Redhorn New Member

PS We're trying to beat our own record in a couple of Saturdays time! On 1st July Becontree are playing at Pinewalk Bandstand (or is it Fishermans walk!????) and we're short of cornets and horns.
    Steve (Whatsharp?), Chris (also plays for Regent), and Lynne, from Yiewlsley & West Drayton (does that count as two bands?!) have already signed up- so thats at least 3 bands represented!
    Anyone else want to join in?.... :)

10. starperformer

starperformer Member

i wasn't referring to the "eye spy" idea, although i like it.
    i have heard anecdotally that denham (or possibly the older hendon band) once managed to put on a 10-piece gig with 10 deps - can anyone corroborate this?

valiant effort at making the need for loads of deps sound interesting and/or positive by the way.

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    formal
    gig
    grounds
    band
    Hertford Castle
  12. Ipswich trom

Ipswich trom Member

Absolutely, surely needing that many deps to fulfil a gig is not something to be especially proud of.

13. Bob Sherunkle

Bob Sherunkle Member

Dear bbbrec

Well done.

I am just grateful that I didn't have to listen to it!

Cheers

Bob

14. Redhorn

Redhorn New Member

On the contrary- we could have fulfilled the gig with just our members.... BUT...
    Is it better to do a big gig with half a band (in Sundays case without deps it would have left us with just 2 solo cornets, and a rep in the cornet section, for example. Oh, and no conductor!), slog your guts (lips!) out, be limited by what music you can or cannot play- , or to open it up (as we did on this forum) inviting anyone that wants to come along for a blow, regardless of ability, to do so- and just have a good afternoon of music making and fellowship???

Yeah, it wasn't 'Albert Hall' standard- but we enjoyed ourselves and got to meet several nice people from other bands who just wanted to come along for a blow. For once we didnt have to spend weeks in advance trying to fill positions, and didnt have to spend extortionate amounts of money on 'prima-donna' fees for deps!!!

Isnt banding supposed to be about having some fun? Jeeeez!!!!! :-?

15. Ipswich trom

Ipswich trom Member

I am sure it was fun and all that but don't your committee consider whether or not you will have a band when taking on the gig. That was more what I was hinting at.

16. Di

Di Active Member

Band engagements can be booked as far as a year in advance, some are regular annual events. It's inevitable that there will be an amout of sickness/work commitments which arise on top of the planned holidays.

17. Ipswich trom

Ipswich trom Member

Ok, I give in, I'm obviously in a minority here but to have nearly 50% deps is surely pushing it just a little far. Not something I think I would be happy with at our band.

18. WhatSharp?

WhatSharp? Active Member

And I'm already looking forward to it!. (sorry I'll reply to your PM in a mo :oops: ). Chris, incidentally, plays with WGC band at present. (Still 2 bands thou!).

Last edited: Jun 20, 2006
  19. Bungle

Bungle Member

As it has become very difficult for us to find deps during August, we have now followed BAE Systems band and do not take on any gigs during this month. Does any one else do this?

20. Ipswich trom

Ipswich trom Member

We don't do jobs in August, in fact we don't even rehearse! Complete 4 week break.

21. Liz Courts

Liz Courts Active Member

Once one of St Agnes's annual engagements was moved to a different date, and it turned out that half the band (including the conductor) were unable to make it. At the time St Agnes and Illogan bands were as close to merging as you could be without it happening, so we ended up having over half the band and the conductor being from Illogan, but still playing under the name of St Agnes! Not exactly a large number of bands being represented, but it was a bit bizarre to say the least!

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    formal
    gig
    grounds
    band
    Hertford Castle