How many are Composers / Arrangers?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by KMJ Recordings, May 18, 2006.

Do I supply new repertoire?

1. I do arrangements

4 vote(s)
  2. I make new compositions (and maybe arrangements as well)

9 vote(s)
  3. I do arrangements and I'm published

6 vote(s)
  4. I do new Compositions and I'm published

6 vote(s)
  1. KMJ Recordings

KMJ Recordings Supporting Member

Following on from another thread where I commented on new repertoire finding it's way onto CDs, I thought it'd be interesting to gather a bit of information about who does what...there are the usual suspects who make their wares known in signatures and profiles, but how many others are there out there?
    Last edited: May 18, 2006
  2. sniperjp

sniperjp Member

I´m currently trying to do an arrangment of Jurrasic Park for brass, so don´t know how that will turn out, did an arrangment of Bicycle by Queen on my PC and it got formatted!
  3. Matt Lawson

Matt Lawson Member

Majoring in Composition at Huddersfield University.

Also studying "Scoring and Arranging for Brass Band" in years 2 and 3.

Written some stuff in my spare time, nothing up to scratch yet though.

When there's something worth playing, Emley will know about it. ;)
  4. Fendall

Fendall Member

I did about 10 band arrangements in the 1980s when I was about 16-18. Since then wrote a trumpet concerto in 1988, abridged for piano in 1995 and used in NZ and Australia as the open soprano test. Full 20 minute concerto has been arranged by another for band and being recorded for future CD release by Woolston Band. I returned to banding after many years in 2004, and have since written a soprano solo with piano accompaniment, and more solos to come soon. I can't explain it, the music just started flowing out again after many years, and you can't do anything until it's 'written down'.
  5. Dave Euph

Dave Euph Member

I'm a final year composition student at Huddersfield Uni, and this year I wrote a piece for brass band as part of my course that is being performed next month. I've also started writing a "test-piece" length work for band, which could be ineteresting if I can pull it off.

Not much for arranging tho. :)
  6. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

I compose, and have dabbled with arrangements, but getting copyright permission is a pain, so unless there's a very good reason, I don't bother anymore.

Of course, only being a Sibelius qualified composer, I may not count.:rolleyes:
  7. Crazysop

Crazysop Member

I arrange simple items for our training band, and have had a stab at an original composition for them, again very simple because i'm not overly good at it!
  8. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

I write and arrange purely for fun. I've written pieces for a friend's brass octet, for tuba quartet, but my real love is writing for brass band.

I wrote a patrol march two years ago called "Forty Shillings" Which succeeded beyond my wildest dreams. I thought it'd get a blow through and a 'well done' and that'd be it.

In stead stayed on Co-op's playlist for about 8 months, wound up on the band CD and is now available from Kirklees music! About the proudest moment of my banding career was when we first played it on stage.

I've got a totally legal (though not published) arrangement of 'one last love song' by the beautiful south which we've blown through at band, and i'm pleased with it. Cost about £40 for arranging licence and copyright permission but it was worth it.

I've recently finished a (rather fiendish) Cornet solo arrangement of the Rondo allegretto from Karl Maria Von Weber's Clarinet concerto No .1 (public domain) which seems to have come out rather well. I don't want to tempt fate but hopefully I should get some feedback on it from a top-drawer cornet player soon as well. Which would be great because I need all the advice I can get!!

As for writing original pieces, I'm currently trying to write a euphonium solo for my girlfriend (all together... Awwwww!) and have lots of crazy ideas in progress. In fact, the band are probably sick of me turning up with sibelius printouts by now!

PS - If anyone can tell me who holds the sheet music copyright for Ennio Morricone's film scores, (or where to find out) I'd be very grateful!
    Last edited: May 19, 2006
  9. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

Andi, I think it depends on which film as to who holds the copyright. Some of the copyright to his film soundtracks is owned by Peer Music International. Licensing is arranged through EMI-Capitol Music Special Markets.

EMI are generally a good place to start for that sort of music anyway.

10. I've arranged bits and pieces for whatever band I've played in from an early age, but nothing substantial. Sometimes it gets played, and sometimes I keep it to myself. I've also composed long pieces on the piano - some of which are too difficult for me to play, but which sound great in my head! At band practice I frequently make little changes to the music, which I think improves it. So if I can get my ass into gear and have a stab at arranging a full-on proper piece which inspires me, it might work out very well.

I haven't answered your poll, as I won't consider myself a real "arranger" until I've had a go at something big.
  11. Thirteen Ball

Thirteen Ball Active Member

Cheers! Been watching old Sergio Leone spaghetti westerns lately and found something I just CAN't leave alone.