1. :woo :woo
    lol!so anyway,random question for us all!how long have you all been playing,and what got you into playing in the first place?
    I'll start,I'm 17 and I startd playing when I was 7! Was taught by the salvation army band leader at my corps,purely cos my sister did!

2. Hollie

Hollie Member

Hey, I'm Hollie, been playing cornet since I was 9, I am now 16!
    Got into in when a organisation came to our school with a range of instruments to try, I wanted to go to try saxaphone as my grandad used to play it...but I couldn't get a note out of it but could a cornet so I said I'll have that instead!! lol!
    Afetr playing for 6 months I joined Portishead's junior band (now academy band) and after 2 and a half years, the christmas of 2000 I moved up to Portishead and have been there ever since, and am lovin it all the time!! :biggrin:

3. Craigsav83

Craigsav83 Active Member

I started playing cornet purely by accident - so I didnt have to sing in school services (you would understand if you ever heard my singing voice....) That was 8 years ago - I have now advanced (?!?) to soprano.

4. cornet.kid

cornet.kid Member

Hi,
    I started playin 6 years ago, originally with tewkesbury band (4th sect). A year ago i moved to shirley band (1st sect) where i now play on the front row :)

ps have tried sop but only to dep for me sisters band - im not crazy enuff to play it more than that :p

5. lewis

lewis Member

I started the trumpet when I was 8. I was desperate to play the guitar but I'm left handed and I couldn't get round it. My head teacher put me in the brass group rhoguh and 15 years later I haven't looked back really.

6. Naomi McFadyen

Naomi McFadyen New Member

I started learning music when I was 6....throughout that time... learnt many instruments.... pinao, guitars, strings, woodwind, brass, percussion....... and now a stick wagger,,,,

:biggrin: ;) :lol:

7. DublinBass

DublinBass Supporting Member

That's quite unusual...it takes quite a talented trumpet player to progress to bass trombone ;)

I started on baritone at age 15 so I could get into the high school football matches for free. OMG...now I'm 31 and just this second realised I've been playing brass over half my life :eek:

8. Naomi McFadyen

I met someone yesterday who's been playing for 83 years :)

:clap: :clap: :clap:

9. meandmycornet

meandmycornet Active Member

I originally started playing cornet when I was about 6 and started lessons as soon as started junior school, and also at Torrington Youth Band, but I couldn't get past a C abouve middle C :tongue: so I knicked me mums horn, which was a great move I then moved to South Molton Training Band and carried on with Horn til I was 13 when I had a 5 year break til last June, I went to the Whits at Delph and by the end of the night was desperate to start playing again! This time I really wanted to try cornet again so I went along to South Molton Training again and the MD said I could stay to senior band! I moved up to second cornet before christmas and I'm loving every minute of it!! Oh and yes I can get past a C now :tongue:

10. cornetshell

cornetshell Member

I started when i was 7 - because i couldnt play the cello.....couldnt cope using both hands...one bowing and the other pressing strings...plus even the 1/4 size one was too big for me .... :(

My sister played cornet- so she was the first person to teach me- she'd only been playing a year before me- so she taught me all her pieces...and then i had proper lessons....and quickly advanced- causing her to give up- because she didnt like it that i was better than her- taking my grade 3 when she was taking her grade 2 :frown: Sorry Catherine xxxx

So yeah- about 13 years.....although i was naff until i changed teachers 4 years ago :confused: and i had a spell on classical trumpet for like 10- 14- when my local band told me to put that down and take up cornet again- best thing i did!

Though i actually miss playing in Orchestras..... :rolleyes: and wish i still played in the sould band at school hehee

:cool:

11. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    corps
    salvation army band leader
    lol
    random question
    cos
  12. drummergurl

drummergurl Active Member

well... i started having piano lessons when i was 6/7ish (Cant remember exactly), it helped that my piano teach lives right across the road... and in church i always wanted to be part of the choir that rehearsed after church, and i ended up joining the church choir and the youth choir that rehearsed after church, when i was 7. which was really good!!! then, i started admiring the drummer in church... he also sang in the church choir and the youth choir... but, since i remember i always watched the percussionists at the band my parents played for whenever i went to their rehearsals/concerts/contests. and eventually, i started having lessons off the drummer from church, cant remember how old i was (about 9 maybe 10)... and ive loved it since!!!

i no longer have piano lessons, and i dont sing in the church choir, or the youth choir...

but i do still have lessons on percussion, and i absolutely love it!! i wouldnt stop being a percussionist if my life depended on it!

13. Naomi McFadyen

Well that's nice to read :)

Last edited: Apr 23, 2005
  14. btrommatt

btrommatt Member

i've been playing since age of 8 when i first started learning cornet. Moved on to euphonium at age of 11, but later moved on to bass trom...about 7 yrs ago i think. And loving every minute!!!!!!!!!!!!

15. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

Not quite sure what this thread is doing in 'Totally Random', but seeing as it's here...

Piano - age 6ish; we had one in the home; so ~19 years.
    Euph (first brass) - age 8; wouldn't do my Piano Grade 1, so the teacher suggested I go and do something else! ~17.5 years.

Oh my goodness me.:eek:

16. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

There is, I seem to remember, another thread like this somewhere. I'm sure a true BOC in training like you could find it if you wanted to Dave.

However, I have been playing since age 11/12. I am now 48, going on 49 therefore I have been playing for ...........37ish years.:eek: :eek: :eek:

My revered music teacher, now dead alas, has a lot to answer for!

17. MoominDave

MoominDave Well-Known Member

The path to enlightenment is long indeed.

18. HorniKaz

HorniKaz Supporting Member

Started playing cornet when I was 9. Wanted to start earlier but they wouldn't allow it at school cos they thought that your lungs were developed enough at that age! (they are now!!;) ) Changed to horn at 12 cos my gob got too big, & been there ever since. Started in the 1st place as I've been brought up with bands, my Dad plays BBb!! So been playing for more than half my life. Infact, for over 2/3 of my life!!! Feel very very very old now!:(

19. yonhee

yonhee Active Member

Erm started violin when i was 7 or 8 cant remember then moved onto viola when i was 9 or 10 then started horn when i was 10 or 11.

20. Liz Courts

Liz Courts Active Member

Well, I'm 17 at the moment (18 in 6 days!! :biggrin:), and took part in my first ever contest in March 1996! (Just over 9 years ago!)

I started playing when I was 7, and my first concert with the band was in June 1995.

So I've definitely been playing for 10 years, but it might be closer to 11 now! I can't remember the exact date I first picked up a cornet!

Anyway, I started playing because my neighbour (a bass player) saw me practising the recorder one day and thought he'd better get me playing a nicer sounding instrument ASAP!!!:)

21. TIMBONE

TIMBONE Active Member

I like threads like this, so that I can blow my own trumpet, although I don't play one, (but my son does), although I can play one in theory, because I have taught trumpet up to grade 8 Associated Board. I digress. Noone will read beyond this point, but if you do, and you like mathemeatical things, I will set a question at the end, which Carol Vordeman would work out in a few seconds!

I started on percussion when I was 4, shaking my bells for my dad's Christmas concert. Piano when I was 6, 'cause we had one at home. Trombone when I was 15. Guitar at 16. Bass Guitar, (reading may I add), when I was 19. I started singing the day I was born! :biggrin:

So here is the mathematical question - I was born in 1951, how long have I been playing the trombone.

The first correct answer gets a piece of music from my website...I mean it! :clap:

22. theMouthPiece Visitor Guide

Find more discussions like this one
    corps
    salvation army band leader
    lol
    random question
    cos