how important are the horns compared to the cornets??????

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by perfect cadence, Jun 18, 2006.

1. just wondered what peoples thoughts were on the horn section, cos i think horns and euph/bari sections are most important 2 a band but the horns seem 2 take a back seat compared to the other sections, kindof the unnoticed section......:tongue:
  2. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

Very important. It gives us something to aim at...
  3. cheeky *edit* lol:tongue:

remember family friendly forum! SQ
  4. TheMusicMan

TheMusicMan tMP Founder Staff Member

There's no 'I' in team. OK, there are 1 or two positions that carry some additional responsibility, but all the members of a band are equally important.
  5. Charmed

Charmed Active Member

The most important! And don't you forget it! ;)
  6. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

We have horns????!!!:eek:
  7. Charmed

Charmed Active Member

Probably, but then most cornet players don't know what's going on around them. :biggrin: ;)
  8. super_sop

super_sop Supporting Member

There are players other than ME in the band??????!!!!:eek::tongue:
  9. Kaskaey

Kaskaey Member

horns? what? family rivalrys. My sister principal of the horns and me of the cornets... -they are unimpotant. Cornets are made to be noticed.. thats why there are so many.
  10. tenorhorn_15

tenorhorn_15 New Member

As a horn player I think we are the best and a valuable section in a band. Realistically I think all sections compliment each other and it wouldn't be the same if a section wasn't there. (especially the horns!!!)
  11. Di

Di Active Member

Na, thats just because it takes 9 puny cornets to match up to the sound of 3 glorious horns. :tongue:;)

*completely impartial, I'm from neither of the said sections* :biggrin:
  12. WoodenFlugel

WoodenFlugel Moderator Staff Member

Typical attitude of a principal cornet player there...:rolleyes: ;)

I don't think there are any more "important" parts in a band really, but I would say a good quality, strong horn section sound is crucial to the overall sound of the band. And by that I mean all three horn parts. Any band with a good quality sound will have three horn players who can tonk it out and make a decent noise. Its a very important section to get the balance between bass and top.
  13. tenor_horn_18

tenor_horn_18 New Member

Well what can i say? Horns are definately the best section in the band and they have a magical, pure sound. They can play quietly but they can also make a huge sound come from nowhere lol. Brass bands would be nothing without the magnificent horn section. We are simply the best. Our conductor says we are the best section in the band (but i think he says the same to all the sections).
  14. "nah thats because it takes 9 puny cornets to match up to the sound of three glorious horns"

It takes 9 puny cornets AND three glorious horns to match 2 euphoniums. :) anyway i think all sections are equally important to add to the texture and colour of a band sounf.
  15. Dave 2nd2nd Cornet

Dave 2nd2nd Cornet Active Member

Best section of any band "CORNETS" nowt else matters. HA HA HA
  16. Rapier

Rapier Supporting Member

And I always thought there were so many, in the hope that one of them may be able to play it right. :rolleyes:
  17. GingerMaestro

GingerMaestro Active Member

The horn section is just as important as the cornets if not more so from a musical point of veiw as they are the link between the higher pitched sections from flugel up to cornets and the baritone/bass end of the band.

With out the horns it would be like a story with a begining and and end but nothing in the middle making the story pretty boring as with music
  18. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

Of course, if brass bands had PROPER horns instead of those weedy wobbly things, it would sound much better. Some say that Adolphe Sax should rot in hell for the invetion of the Saxophone, but he was responsible for many more sins than that!

:biggrin: ;)
  19. kierendinno

kierendinno Member

ye so its decided then...... Horns Euphs an Baris are the best sections....... yep thought so..... hehe