How hard a deal can you strike?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by MarkGillatt, Aug 18, 2006.

1. MarkGillatt

MarkGillatt Member

We have just bought a new drum kit, (see photo) Dean went to buy it as I was busy. It was priced at £950 with a standard snare drum and no hardware. Dean, as bold as brass waved a cheque at them for £870 and said "I'll give you this cheque now if you throw in a couple of cymbal stands, (at nearly a hundred pounds each) AND a piccolo snare drum at £280. The guy said no at first, so Dean was about to walk out, muttering something about band supplies, when the guy pleads with him to stay. The deal was done very shortly after. I know I wouldn't have the balls to do that, if I see a price on something, that's the price I pay. What are the best deals you have struck? BTW, the drum kit is fantastic! and the piccolo snare is a must for every drummer, the response is unbelievable!:tup Image038.jpg

Oooh, nearly forgot to mention a complete set of Remo pinstripe skins too!
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2006
  2. SuperMosh

SuperMosh New Member

Do me a favour mate, our resident shed builder is Mr Guinness. PM him and ask him to comment as I bet he would have similar stories to tell...

As for best deal I have got, it's not an instrument but I once got two free burgers from a service station as they were 4 hours old and had to be disposed. Bargain, and I was on my way to band.
  3. tinytimp

tinytimp Member

I managed to talk the dealer down on my car from £1495 to £1375 recently, that's about it.

I'll have to give you a call next time I need any perc though!
  4. 1alexm

1alexm Member

my dad did that with the computer, he said that he wasn't going buy it if he didn't get a mouse and keyboard thrown in, he was about to walk out of the door and then they gave him the mouse and keyboard for free, these shop owners are whimps. lol
  5. I haggled a really really nice bracelet down when I was on holiday last year. It was on sale for something like £40.. I got it down to £25.. I thought was pretty good :D haha.
    Wouldn't dare do it on something REALLY expensive though.. I'd run out of the shop quickly. :tongue:
  6. julestools

julestools Active Member

I saw a gorgeous Ducati Monster outside a shop near Southport in October 1999. It was in imaculate condition with low mileage. I went into the said motorcycle emporium and offered the proprietor £500 less than the asking price. He shook his head and I went towards the door. I left with the little Monster two hours later on my terms. I then had to phone April (the wife) and ask permission (think that was the wrong way about but it worked)

My Little Monster now resides in a scrap yard near Wem and I walk with a limp. :oops: Was it such a bargin?

Jules (loved my little monster)
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2006
  7. michellegarbutt

michellegarbutt Supporting Member

It can work the other way though. I make wedding cakes. My average price for a 3 tier wedding cake is £180 (which is a similar price to what I paid 14 years ago). This includes all the decoration including hand made icing flowers, delivery and set up. The amount of people who try and talk me down even though that price is extremely cheap anyway. Their argument is usually that Asda/Tesco etc. sell cakes for £10 -15 a tier. I usually point out those cakes are mass produced , covered in icing by machine and when you cut into them the cake is only an inch thick or so. What they get off me is a one off custom designed cake, hand baked and hand decorated. If they want a cheap mass produced cake I suggest they do go to Asda, but no way am I reducing my price when they're getting a bargain already and I know I'm one of the cheapest decorators in the area.

(By the way even though the shops birthday cakes say hand decorated, all that means is a machine has cut out the fondant shapes etc, someone has just picked the decorations up and placed them on the cake by hand.)
  8. Roger Thorne

Roger Thorne Active Member

Any chance you could give me an estimate for wallpapering my hall, stairs and landing then!

9. michellegarbutt

If you really want wallpaper made out of icing and decorated with hand made sugar flowers certainly:biggrin:
  10. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- marzipan included?
  11. Nigel Hall

Nigel Hall Supporting Member

Absolutely spot on Michelle - I used to run a mobile disco with a mate, we NEVER advertised as we used to get more than enough business by word of mouth. People would ring up and when quoted a price would usually say "I could get a disco out of the paper for £50" I used to then say How did you get my number? usually the reply was that someone recommended you...My point exactly - what about this £50 disco, know anything about them? I never compromised on our price.
  12. michellegarbutt

For you of course
  13. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

- shame about that ... marzipan makes me sick! :rolleyes:
  14. Anno Draconis

Anno Draconis Well-Known Member

That's just crazy talk :eek: , marzipan is ace. Meanwhile, back at the topic....;)

I've got quite good at haggling for stuff in work, whether it's buying or selling. I once sold a Boston Stitcher (basically a big stapler for making booklets) that I'd acquired free for £800. And I got a grand for our knackered old transit van, which I was chuffed about. Bizarrely, I'm not so good at haggling over personal/domestic stuff - I got £600 knocked off some double glazing once but I've got a nagging suspicion that it was £900 overpriced in the first place :rolleyes: