How far to rehearse?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Robhibberd29, Jan 9, 2008.

1. Robhibberd29

Robhibberd29 Active Member

I went to visit friends at another band on sunday at their rehearsal and joined them for a blow. It was a 150 mile round trip which sounds quite a lot but it was only just over an hour each way so I will definitely make an effort to go again as there were some really nice people there (you know who you are!!) and I enjoyed the extra practice.
    How far would you travel for a rehearsal (not just a one off)?
  2. needmorevodka

needmorevodka Member

Crikey Rob, you did come a long way to see us, and very nice it was to see you :D I think my round trip to band is about 35 miles, and it can still take about half an hour each way, sometimes longer, it's the country lanes that do it! Not sure I would want to travel much further than that on a regular basis twice a week. That said, I don't mind travelling, it's the queuing in traffic that gets me cross (and late!).
  3. Robhibberd29

35 miles on country roads is pretty good going Becks, my regular band is around 10mins door to door!
    The 150 miles does sound a lot but it was a pretty straightforward one, straight down the motorway no messin! :)
  4. agentorange

agentorange Member

Even though there are several bands much closer to home, I do a 90 mile round trip twice a week. It is virtually all motorway though, so it's an easy journey.

Think that's about the limit though - i wouldn't like to travel any further.
  5. Mesmerist

Mesmerist Well-Known Member

The furthest we travelled was 100 miles round trip but it was worth it.
    Now its probably about 40 miles but easier as its down the motorways.
  6. Colin D

Colin D Member

Not so much the time in the car that bothers me - more the cost!

50 mile round trip to band costs me about £5 a time, which is a bit of a dent in the wallet in the week before a contest :-?
  7. Mesmerist

Mesmerist Well-Known Member

Yes. add in babysitting as well and it becomes an expensive hobby
  8. CubbRep

CubbRep Member

I travel 42 miles round trip to Cubbington.But it only takes me about 20 minutes on a good night.It took me longer to get to Oddfellows,but the journey is a nightmare.All country roads,even though it is an "A" road mostly.
  9. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

I used to do more than a 100 miles roundtrips to band, but now that I've moved it's only 200 meters and I can do it by foot :)
  10. Ipswich trom

Ipswich trom Member

I only do about 18 miles round trip but I once added up the miles that the entire band cover coming to rehearsals and if all are present it is over 1,600.:eek:
  11. Will the Sec

Will the Sec Active Member

When I was at Fulham, it was complicated. As the crow flies, about 12 miles. As the commuter stumbles, anything from 90 minutes to 3 hours. :mad:

Becontree is on the right side of London for me, so whilst I'm helping them out it's only 20 minutes including dropping off LBB on the way home!
  12. BbBill

BbBill Supporting Member

The nearest band to Campbeltown by road is least a 300 mile round trip, thats how remote we are!!
  13. Well Worth It

Well Worth It Active Member

Used to do 190 mile round trip twice a week. Spanning 5 counties and 2 countries
  14. hicks

hicks Member

I'm quite happy with the 15 minute journey to band rehearsal. Depends on what band I was playing for though. I'm sure most of us would go out of our way to play with the likes of Black Dyke. Not saying I have that kind of talent though :)
  15. imthemaddude

imthemaddude Active Member

or 2 junctions of the motorway (M1), which might help you out with getting there quicker.

I travel 104 mile round trip twice a week and it can get very tiring with school as well but i've never enjoyed banding as much so it's worth it. It's very expensive but I look at it as what I want to do. I don't buy many clothes or go on a night out very often to save it.
  16. Leyfy

Leyfy Active Member

Think between us, me and Essex Elvis make a few of those up! I travel about 48 miles from home to get to band (a little less from work), and he travels about 30 miles to meet me!
  17. Robhibberd29

Bless him!! :)
  18. andyp

andyp Active Member

It always amused me that years ago a carful from our side of the Pennines would be going to rehearsal at YBS (Bradford) whilst a carful from "the other side" would be on their way to rehearsal at Leyland, presumably waving each other good luck as they passed each other somewhere about Milnrow......

I go 14 miles which is enough, have done the 90mins (Leyland - Marple via M61 and M60 at rush-hour) each way thing (every night for a fortnight before contests) and it was madness really, only survived cos 4 of us could share the driving.
    How some people can work a full day, drive 100+miles down British roads and then concentrate on band for 2 hours before driving back amazes me - I'd be knackered!
  19. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

Now that Ilive in Grange Moor I'm only a five to ten minute drive from the band room, better than it used to be, used to take me nearly 40 mins each way. If I actually played with Grange Moor band I could walk there in 2 mins flat! :rolleyes:
  20. Bass Man

Bass Man Active Member

Currently it takes me approx 10 minutes to get to band (unless the venue is changed, then it can take a little longer). I used to travel 30 mins each way to Durham, that is probably the furthest I would go.