How far do you travel to rehearsal ?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by Cornet46, Sep 16, 2016.

1. Cornet46

Cornet46 New Member

Hi.....I'm new to this so I've no idea weather this question has been asked before, but having just moved from the Midlands to North Yorkshire, I don't seem to have many local bands, so wondered how far people travelled to rehearsals.

2. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Midlands
    North Yorkshire
    local bands
    idea
    question
  3. ari01

ari01 Active Member

35 miles each way

4. Tim skelper

Tim skelper New Member

38 miles each way

ari01 likes this.
  5. stevetrom

stevetrom Well-Known Member

About 30 miles each way

6. Smiling Sop

Smiling Sop New Member

Nearly 45 miles each way and it takes me an hour because, fortunately, it is nearly all on A roads and motorways.
    I've visited other bands and a journey which is half as long in miles can take as much driving time as my regular trip to rehearsal.

mikelyons likes this.
  7. mikelyons

mikelyons Supporting Member

For one band I travel 12 miles each way, and for the other it's 32 miles each way, but the longer trip takes less time because it's motorway/A roads.

2nd tenor likes this.
  8. Here in the U.S. I was driving 83 miles one way for brass band. There are only two brass bands around me, and they are about the same distance.

9. sunshine

sunshine Member

3.2 miles each way. Play for my local town band, always have, always will :)
    21.3 miles each way for the other band I play for, but we only have 1 rehearsal a month.

10. Tom-King

Tom-King Well-Known Member

37.8 miles each way according to google maps.

11. 2nd tenor

2nd tenor Active Member

I'm unsure when or how to find it but I believe something similar has been asked in the last couple of years, but I can't see why the question shouldn't be asked again.

Taking a straw pole of the people I know the farthest drives for 45 mins and the nearest walks for 5 mins, 20 minutes travel time is about typical. How far those people travel (distance) in those times is variable, it all depends on things like mode of transport, quality of roads and conjestion.

What's required and deemed reasonable does depend a bit on the level of band to which you want to belong. I don't enjoy contesting so have the option of about eight non-contesting bands within about a 30 minute drive, and about another four (in that drive time) if I joined a either a fourth it third section band. However, if I wanted to join a Championship Section Band then I would expect my typical travel time to be somewhat higher than 20 mins.

The Brass Band Results website has a map function which will show you where bands are and can even give you a list of them within some distances of your location. You might like to somehow put standard of play and journey time rather than mileage into your review of what's normal and reasonable ....... and then, as our North American friends have illustrated, someplaces just don't have have enough of a population to support a band so local factors can completely change what's considered reasonable (or necessary).

Last edited: Sep 17, 2016
  12. theMouthPiece Related Searches

Find more discussions like this one
    Midlands
    North Yorkshire
    local bands
    idea
    question
  13. Bbmad

Bbmad Active Member

How far do you travel then?

2nd tenor likes this.
  14. David Evans

David Evans Member

One mile for the main band, 10 miles for the second one, I seem very fortunate.

15. Bass Man

Bass Man Active Member

15 miles each way, mostly through villages so it takes at least 25 minutes

16. 2nd tenor

2nd tenor Active Member

200 yards, honest. Always play for your local band - move to Queensbury if you must play for the best :) .

Slider1 likes this.
  17. Leveridge96

Leveridge96 Member

15 miles each way

18. sunshine

sunshine Member

One of our players travels 61.2 miles each way taking him an hour and 16 minutes, out of the London and southern area and into the midlands - not because we are the best championship band in the area, but because we are a local 4th section band, who are friendly and enjoy working as a musical group without the politics and bullying you sometimes hear about in other bands. He has played in many bands closer to home, but says he prefers being a part of our band as the band has a great attitude - welcoming, ambitious and hardworking. He is a great player, who could play at a much higher level so we really appreciate his support :)

19. pbirch

pbirch Member

these days I think time is more the issue than distance - for instance where I live in one direction a half hour drive gets you 5 miles, the other way it gets you 30

20. Accidental

Accidental Supporting Member

Interesting idea, but I think this thread is proving its not a big factor for a lot of people. I wonder what would change if we did all go to our closest bands!
    I can think of at least 20 bands closer to me than the one I'm in, which is 55 miles & 1-1.5 hrs away.

21. MissBraz

MissBraz Member

Just under a mile !

22. RicePudding

RicePudding New Member

The nearest band to me is 0.7 miles away. I used to play with them but now play in a band which is 14.2 miles away. One of more than 20 bands within a 15-mile radius of my house, 6 of whom will line up against each other in the Championship section regionals next year.