How far do you go

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by ISBBBb2, Mar 8, 2006.

1. ISBBBb2

ISBBBb2 Member

Just out of interest, what sort of distance do you travel to get to your band's rehearsal?
    I travel from Sheffield to London every Wednesday for ISB practice which involves a train to Kings cross and a tube to Elephant & Castle AND a start time of 5:45!!
    Any advance on Sheffield to London...
  2. Aaron

Aaron Member

Myself & my other half travel from Manchester to Meltham twice, 3, sometimes even 4 times a week for rehearsals.
    The bummer is that neither of us drive, so a day return on train plus taxi back home is quite expensive, not to mention not getting home till midnight when been in work since 7.30am!!
    We do tend to have the odd moan, but its our choice & we enjoy it so thats how it goes!!
  3. sparkling_quavers

sparkling_quavers Active Member

I travel about 5 minutes! I have travelled in the past but I was just lucky when I moved to manchester that the local band was suitable for me to join.
  4. six pints

six pints Active Member

I go durham to ashington, involves two trains each way, relying on parents picking me up and dropping me off at train station 8 miles away, taxi fares, bus fares, leaving durham at 4pm and depending on whether the train is late (and 4/5 of the time it is) i can get back anytime between 11:30 and 1:30am. of course, i only have to do it during term time!
  5. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

Where i used to live it was about a 10 mile journey, now living in Grange Moor it's about 3 and a half...and I have to pass the Grange Moor bandroom to get there. :D
  6. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

When I'm at my parents house, it's 2 minutes by bike (or about just as long by car ;) )

From Leuven, it's 90km one way, but we rehearse only once a week and I'm carpooling with another band member. Usually, we take some student along as well.
  7. flower girl

flower girl Member

where did u used to live crawf, is that when u live by geordie pride?

Is it really that far from mine to emley?????

8. 2nd man down

9. 2nd man down

What? drag him kicking and screaming? And is this just any random student? ;)
  10. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

I doubt anybody is going to beat that actually! :eek:

I live about 20 miles from the bandroom, so have a 40 mile round trip - when I travel from home. Unfortunately, I generally have to go to band directly from work which is about 70 miles away from the bandroom.....
  11. Jan H

Jan H Moderator Staff Member

lol, I meant to type "students" :)

That are these band members that have nothing better to do then spend their time on college benches pretending to "learn" something...
  12. Bass Trumpet

Bass Trumpet Active Member

We've just moved bandroom from Kettering to Northampton, so a 22 mile journey is now about 40. I'm very lucky to get a lift to band from another band member who lives near me, but I am often required to work in Cardiff, which makes band practice a little tougher. Some of our members drive quite a way from darkest Essex, Hertfordshire, Derbyshire and beyond.
  13. ISBBBb2

ISBBBb2 Member

14. tinytimp

tinytimp Member

Cardiff to band is about 60 miles, taking around an hour and 15 mins. This isn't too bad but it means that we don't get back until at least 11.30 at night! I'm lucky though that I haven't got a car so don't have to do the driving.

When I'm at home (parents) it takes about 20 minutes.
  15. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

5 minutes to Killamarsh - twice a week but 45mins to Barnsley - although I car share this with Zuzanna on alternate nights.
  16. six pints

six pints Active Member

Boo! we do work hard (she says opening her second bottle of beer of the day)
  17. Redhorn

Redhorn New Member

How do all the northern members manage to get down to London in time for a 5.45 kick off? Don't they have jobs!?? :)

I assume your expenses are paid too, as that would be very costly!
  18. One of our basses lives in Northampton and travels to Hebden Bridge (for the Southerners that's about 120 or more miles). Her car's knackered as well.:clap: We must be worth it!!
  19. Bassment Jinx

Bassment Jinx Member

That is dedication!

5 mins for me, so I cant complain. We moved to a new band room recently which is even closer for me, which is pretty good.
  20. a very flat b

a very flat b Member

I work away during the week and travel back on a Wednesday, about 100 miles. Due to some competition or other I'll be doing it twice this week and if we play as well as usual in rehearsal I'll be doing it every night next week.
    That'll be about 800 miles in the week and in response to the thread about getting paid by your band - no!!!:-?