How far apart have to been placed when playing with two bands at a contest?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by mattthebass, Oct 4, 2013.

1. mattthebass

mattthebass Member

Hi All,

It's friday afternoon and I'm day dreaming of past banding glorious when I remembered a Preston Guild contest some years ago. I played with a 4th Section and a Championship band that day, the Championship band won and the 4th Section band came next to last. Just denigning me the perhaps the unequalled position of having played with the top band and the bottom band on the day!!

Have you ever come close to this challenge?
  2. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

I think, that in 1996 at the RAH a BBb Bass player for British Steel Teeside who played no.17 stayed on stage and depped with CWS Glasgow who played no.18 ~ CWS won 1st Prize and British Steel came last. I think I'm right but no doubt I will be corrected if not !

~ Mr Wilx
  3. Bass Man

Bass Man Active Member

Correct, that would be the claim to fame of North East banding legend Keith Hepworth who currently plays with Fishburn
  4. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

That's quite a novel achievement, definitely a tale for his Grandkids. I'd like to bet that nothing like it has occurred before or since, it should have some kind of official acknowledgement, perhaps a blue wall plaque somewhere !

~ Mr Wilx
  5. Fat_Bari

Fat_Bari Member

I think we should campaign for the plaque to be mounted on the wall just before bands go onto the stage, just to alert bands to both possibilities.
  6. cockaigne

cockaigne Member

I believe that an identical situation arose more recently than that (either at the Nationals in Cheltenham or at Butlins) where a player from the band which eventually won had to stay on stage as a replacement for a player from the following band, which came low down the order.
  7. iancwilx

iancwilx Active Member

But the player was registered with the winning band, in the 1996 case the wonderful thing was that a player registered with the band that came last actually was part of the winning performance. I bet when he set off from Teesside that morning he never dreamt that he'd end the day being part of a winning performance with another band. I suppose he could put on his CV that he'd been a first prize winner in the National Championships, he was part of the team after all !

~ Mr Wilx
  8. BoozyBTrom

BoozyBTrom Member

When Heppy came off stage and got in the bar with his mates they asked him what were the Co like any good. Heppy just grunted and said they were ok. Hahahaha typical understated Heppy.