How Entertaining?

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by brassyboy, May 10, 2008.

1. brassyboy

brassyboy Member

OK it seems a simple question.... How entertaining are you and your band?

The Durham Entertainment Contest is just around the corner and this got me thinking.

In other threads there have been comments that bands no longer appeal to the non banding public.

The big boys, Black Dyke, Brighouse, Grimethorpe etc give entertaining shows and I am sure we all have our favourite band to see. Being entertaining, exciting and adventurous in programme and style is not a bad thing as these bands know.

There are also brass bands that exist in other areas of music that are highly entertaining for the public Mnozil, Canadian Brass etc.

But how do you make your band 'more entertaining' to the public I am not talking to brass band fans but the public in general?

If bands want support to draw in funds for the day to day competition playing either from the big funders, regional bodies ACE etc then public support is vital!

Entertainment contests are great but do we think about this enough or put the effort into being entertaining?

What have you done to increase the entertainment value of your band?

Would you dress as a bear? play swing, jazz, funk or even Riverdance (Great show Black Dyke) in a concert? etc

Remember Acid Brass Cracking stuff at getting bands to and entertaining a new audience, thumbs up to the Fairey Band!

Over to you....How Entertaining

2. brassyboy

brassyboy Member

3. FlugelD

FlugelD Member

Yes, 3 or 4 times, with dancers :biggrin:

(Doesn't matter how fast you play the last section, Irish dancers want it faster, please :shock: )