How early is too early.....

Discussion in 'The Rehearsal Room' started by JessopSmythe, Sep 6, 2006.

1. JessopSmythe

JessopSmythe Active Member

To start rehearsing for Christmas?

I've just spent the evening trying to teach a room full of 10 year olds to play Jingle Bells.

Aaaaargh. By the time Christmas actually gets here I'll be sick of it!:frown:
  2. johnmartin

johnmartin Active Member

Knowing my band, now would be a good time to start.

Seriously though, normally for us it's a last minute affair with maybe two rehearsals on a couple of pieces that we are going to do at our carol service and we always make a mess of it. This year we have a Christmas concert to do too so I'm currently putting together a programme and ordering music. We intend to start rehearsing it in October in between our testpiece for the Scottish open and a march and hymn tune for another contest in October.
  3. 1st Position

1st Position Member

Our Band recorded a Christmas CD in July this year, so I suppose our rehearsing started very early!
  4. winterman

winterman Member

We did our Christmas recording in May, what a nightmare.. as librarian I had only just got some of the players to finally get the music out of the pads to go back into the library!!

However, our youth band start back after summer break next week so we will probably be getting something ready with them in the next week or two!
  5. trumpetmike

trumpetmike Active Member

How early is too early?
    December 24th

I hate Christmas music, especially the hideous selections and cheese that come out for most concerts - Instant Concert, Christmas Festival - all that stuff should be destroyed.

I am putting off the inevitable student Jingle Bells until I feel I have to let them play it - in lessons I have a rule "no Christmas music until December."
  6. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

It's never too early to start rehearsing Christmas music - I love it! :biggrin: :tongue:

There does seem to be a lack of quality Xmas music though - lots of cheesy stuff, and the trouble is if you play one carol selection you have played them all!

Still, buy your Christmas music here and get a 10% discount! ;)
  7. Pythagoras

Pythagoras Active Member

At Killamarsh we've already had a look at arrangement of Troika, which is a bit tricky but should be quite playable. Can't remeber who its by though. tubafran probably knows.
  8. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

Ugh...Christmas....not again so soon surely? :-?

It should stay in the cupboard until december unless you've got some particularly tricky new pieces to put out or a recording to do.

We've just started the Christmas music with our junior band too! They need the time to get to know it. Haven't started carols yet as they should know the tunes to them but we have 3 brilliant pieces from Mostyn Music for intermediate youth/junior bands; Rocking Rudolph, Santa's Socks & God Rock Ye Merry Gentlemen. The first 2 are pieces in their own right with tiny bits of carols appearing here and there, the third we haven't tried yet. The kids seem to really like them and it's better than the usual carol selections.
  10. brassneck

brassneck Active Member

But they haven't yet got the Xmas gifts and cards in the shops yet ... as far as I know! :eek:
  11. DaveR

DaveR Active Member

I bet they have somewhere - it's only 108 days until Christmas Day :tongue: :biggrin:!
  12. tubafran

tubafran Active Member

It's the Ray Farr arrangement so some of you will know why that's out so early. Although BBSBB beat us to it by one week - they are planning to get a Christmas CD recorded before the Christmas Concerts
  13. Tinkabell

Tinkabell Member

:clap: I have exactly the same rule in my lessons! :tongue:
  14. Bungle

Bungle Member

BAE systems did their Christmas CD recording in July aswell. We started rehearsing 'Three Kings Swing' about two weeks ago, but I think we will be playing in concerts before the Christmas period. That reminds me, must get my order of Frosty the Snowman in ;)
  15. Magic Flute

Magic Flute Supporting Member

Don't either of you have Christmas concerts to do then?! Our's always has to be right at the beginning of December, due to exams - so Christmas in my Department starts straight after half term (with us already having had to start planning it in about July!) Get so fed up with Christmas by the time it actually arrives though! :rolleyes:
  16. meandmycornet

meandmycornet Active Member

I've got a really really really really easy version of Jingle Bells... unison parts... pre-grade 1, I'm sure you could leave it til December then! PM me if you want a copy! :D

17. Magic Flute

Magic Flute Supporting Member

Thanks, I will!
    We did that a couple of years ago for bottle band!!:biggrin:
  18. andywooler

andywooler Supporting Member

I'm getting Mark Freeh's "Nutcracket" out next week because it takes a bit of work!
  19. persins

persins Member

With most of the christmas stuff that is around and about I'm surprised we bother rehearsing it at all.
    It's not normally the top priority for our band! I find it highly depressing rehearing christmas music so early. By the time it's actually relevant, I'm generally absolutely sick of it.
    Baa humbug!
  20. 2nd man down

2nd man down Moderator Staff Member

Of course you mean an original don't you!? tMP doesn't encourage or condone the copying of music.